Lee-Enfield .303 in 1/16 and the real thing

This board is for discussion of replica or original uniforms and equipment (such as rifles, mg's, airsoft).
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Lee-Enfield .303 in 1/16 and the real thing

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I gave up my shotgun as requirements became tighter. I had already bought a firearms cabinet. Then on my renewal of my shotgun licence I would have had to have a home visit from the police to interview me and inspect the cabinet. I did not want the hassle. I believe it is worse in Scotland where I believe you need a licence for an air rifle. After the Dunblane tragedy, there was a sea change in the official attitude towards guns of any sort.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

^^^^^ See that's just nuts to me! It's horrible how a few crazy people can destroy everything for everyone!
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Also need a gun licence for an air rifle in Australia.
Pretty tight gun laws here.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Aussie wrote:Also need a gun licence for an air rifle in Australia.
Pretty tight gun laws here.
We can buy air guns at Walmart! IDK maybe I'm the wierd one, maybe you guys are all right.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jackalope wrote:Gun laws in other countries amaze me! PLEASE do not think me knocking any of your homelands as I would never do that!

I just mail ordered an AR15 polymer kit with what's known as an 80% lower receiver which means it's not "technically" a gun so it has no serial numbers and no paperwork and no govt big brother watching the deal! A simple hand drill is all that's needed to machine it into a fully functional AR!
In some countries, Terry, it's that lower receiver that counts as the gun. That's pretty much just the trigger mechanism and firing pin. As generous as the gun laws in Switzerland are to me and my son..in terms of collecting WW2 weaponry (mainly), and trying it out, you can't change a barrel in a handgun without a police interview, as they they keep serial numbers of all significant gun parts (associated with the registered keeper.)
But considering I need a Certificate for my Walther air rifle in Scotland (I have one), the Swiss authorities seem almost too relaxed about firearms...but I'm not complaining!! ;) ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Lee-Enfield for modellers:
Great little one sixth scale Lee with bayonet
Great little one sixth scale Lee with bayonet
and for 1/16 scale a Verlinden model:
Lee-Enfield.303 in sniper rifle mode..
Lee-Enfield.303 in sniper rifle mode..
2775 “British Red Devil Sniper” (32).jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
jackalope wrote:Gun laws in other countries amaze me! PLEASE do not think me knocking any of your homelands as I would never do that!

I just mail ordered an AR15 polymer kit with what's known as an 80% lower receiver which means it's not "technically" a gun so it has no serial numbers and no paperwork and no govt big brother watching the deal! A simple hand drill is all that's needed to machine it into a fully functional AR!
In some countries, Terry, it's that lower receiver that counts as the gun. That's pretty much just the trigger mechanism and firing pin. As generous as the gun laws in Switzerland are to me and my son..in terms of collecting WW2 weaponry (mainly), and trying it out, you can't change a barrel in a handgun without a police interview, as they they keep serial numbers of all significant gun parts (associated with the registered keeper.)
But considering I need a Certificate for my Walther air rifle in Scotland (I have one), the Swiss authorities seem almost too relaxed about firearms...but I'm not complaining!! ;) ;)

Yup, that's how it works in the U.S. too. Lower receiver with serial numbers are what's tracked here and you need to jump through flaming hoops to get. Which is the great part about an 80% lower, no numbers!
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
jackalope wrote:I actually have one of those Mausers in .30 cal which has proved difficult to find. Unfortunately it was "sporterized" back in the mid 1950's by removing the upper hand gaurds and carving an elk on one side of the stock and deer on the other. Mine is an Argentina Mauser still has the Mauser crest ahead of the bolt on the barrel and was dated to 1895. WISH I could find the correct ammo for it as I know it hasn't been fired in at least 25 years.
That really must be a rarity, Terry, and probably quite valuable. There's a knowledgeable enthusiast who reviews antique weapons on Youtube. Can't think of his name just at the moment, but he reviews the RIAC (Rock Island
Auction Co) antique weapon auctions that occur fairly regularly.
.303 rounds are not all that common these days, either. The ones we used were made in Serbia, I think. I believe the Serbs manufacture all sorts of hard to find ammo. Maybe even your Mauser round. I'll check it out with my Son. The .38 rounds for the Enfield pistol (non-standard type of .38) are only available at a couple of outlets in Switzerland, although the country is awash with gunshops.
How's the training going, by the way?
Forgotten weapons.com Ian
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I remember with pride the gun collection I had before crossing over to Australia.
All had to go.
Included in the lot was a Thompson SMG with a 50 rnd drum mag, PPsH SMG's X 2(one sold to an agent for Peter Jackson-Lord of the Rings Director), MP38, VZ58, AKM, RPK, SVT40, Sterling SMG,MP44, pistols, rifles an RPG launcher with 'practice' warhead(dont ask) so many SLR L1A1's bought & traded at least one a week with both wood and plastic furniture(oh, and the odd full-auto L2 trigger kit), Nagant sniper rifle(sold to a member of the NZ Police)and a very odd Finish Nagant with Bayonet(converted by the Fins) with a large white 'T' on the stock, many other Russian rifles including a Remington, Westinghouse, SiG X 2, and one Nagant that dated 1896 which I got a matching coin for at an auction, M38 carbine(dated 1938) M44 carbine(dated 1944)
30 all up
All matching numbers
All with correct slings, cleaning gear, tools, covers, spare mags, mag pouches etc etc.............

(sigh.................................. :/ )
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

spongehoobtank82 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:
jackalope wrote:I actually have one of those Mausers in .30 cal which has proved difficult to find. Unfortunately it was "sporterized" back in the mid 1950's by removing the upper hand gaurds and carving an elk on one side of the stock and deer on the other. Mine is an Argentina Mauser still has the Mauser crest ahead of the bolt on the barrel and was dated to 1895. WISH I could find the correct ammo for it as I know it hasn't been fired in at least 25 years.
That really must be a rarity, Terry, and probably quite valuable. There's a knowledgeable enthusiast who reviews antique weapons on Youtube. Can't think of his name just at the moment, but he reviews the RIAC (Rock Island
Auction Co) antique weapon auctions that occur fairly regularly.
.303 rounds are not all that common these days, either. The ones we used were made in Serbia, I think. I believe the Serbs manufacture all sorts of hard to find ammo. Maybe even your Mauser round. I'll check it out with my Son. The .38 rounds for the Enfield pistol (non-standard type of .38) are only available at a couple of outlets in Switzerland, although the country is awash with gunshops.
How's the training going, by the way?

Forgotten Weapons, Ian.

Yep, he's the one. He's highly watchable, not simply because of the reverential way he talks about outmoded weaponry, his in depth knowledge and choice of venue- he's also very articulate. Thus, his contributions are free of sensationalist expressions, jargon, 'street' and the current annoying, cringe- making misuse/ overuse of terms such as 'literally', 'sick', 'like'','so' etc. Of course, he also goes on the range with a partner, often dressed in period garb..for a wee skirmish, and to compare weapons. The anti-gun lobby must hate him.... @) ..as he's a great advocate for discerning firearm collecting. :wave:

Return to “Uniforms / Equipment”