Soldering Help

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Soldering Help

Post by Tankbear »

Need some help either I've been abducted by aliens and their stole my ability to solder or I'm loosing the plot.

Basically trying to solder deans connector onto a battery, but can I heck get it to bond. The gold connector and the wire just doesn't want to melt with the solder. I thought might be the iron (30w) not hot enough, but had it on for over 25 minutes and after a few seconds touching the wire felt the heat transfer down it.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
White Knight
Recruit

Re: Soldering Help

Post by White Knight »

The iron need to bigger. I hope you had it on for 25 seconds not minutes.
You have 14 gage wire and a deans. Try fluxing both separately then solder
each and put them together with a drop of solder on iron.
Darryl
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

The 30w iron will be just fine for that TB..I use that size iron all the time for deans. Use plenty of flux is the key(tin both the wire and deans). If you are using a heavy gauge wire heat that wire up 1st, so the solder is now running.Then move it over to the deans and slide the iron down 1 side of the wire so the iron is tuching the deans. The 2 should now be as one. Don't leave the iron on the deans too long as it will damage it with over heating it. You know when the 2 have made a good joint as when you move the wire up and down on the deans it makes a "squeaking" sound ,and you will know you have made a good connection.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

White Knight wrote:The iron need to bigger. I hope you had it on for 25 seconds not minutes.
You have 14 gage wire and a deans. Try fluxing both separately then solder
each and put them together with a drop of solder on iron.
Darryl
Sorry I meant the soldering iron was plugged in for 25 minutes so was nice and hot.

Caddyshack, trying all that. Managed to tin some copper wire and attached to the Deans no problem, so I think the problem is because the battery cable is so large. Plus having difficulty tinning the battery wire for some reason maybe because not copper so guess is aluminum? Is that harder to tin/solder.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com

Return to “General Questions”