Tiger 1 wheel/track alignment

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Tiger 1 wheel/track alignment

Post by Tankbear »

I’m going nuts with this as everything I try doesn’t appear to help.

Got Heng Long Tiger 1 with Mato gearbox, Asiatam metal hull c/w metal idler and tensioner, Metal drive wheel, plastic HL road wheels, HL metal tracks.

Before I fitted the mato gearbox, the tracks where fine yes came of occasionally but generally was ok. Now I’ve fitted the mato gearbox there coming totally off the idler wheel a lot.

Now when I fitted the mato gearbox the shafts where a tad too short in that when I put the drive wheel on it touched the hull, so I’ve spaced these out with washers to over come that problem and as far as I can tell is in line with the other wheels.

Any suggestions?

Could the tracks be to slack and the extra torque at the drive wheel from the gearbox simply pulling off the idler wheel?
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
caddyshack
Sergeant

Re: Tiger 1 wheel/track alignment

Post by caddyshack »

You know those guide rails that run the center of the tracks then go around the idler wheel, has any of those got miss shaped or damaged as that wouldn't help thing along.

As for how tight the track are, (this is just me) my 2 tigers one Hl the other Tamyia, i have set to about 1/2 the guide rail depth when pulled at the idler wheel. this gives me some play with out the tracks removing themselves from the tank while on the move.

As i said this is just how i have mine set. also one set of tracks on my tank are metal the other plasic and have yet to throw a track at those settings.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Not checked guide horns but will do.

It's puzzling me like mad. I have two HL tigers one on plastic track and this one. And the palstic one is fine apart from occassionally coming off the drive wheel, but that is because the gearbox is loose.

So following same logic because it's coming off at the idler wheel (both sides) you think the problem is there, but was fine before I changed gearbox. :crazy:
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

I can't say for sure tankbear that is where the prob is but, they are only a thinish white metal and if they keep coming off some thing has to give in the end.

The other things i had to do to mine (the one with the metal tracks) was re-face all 3 sides of the drive cog. when i looked at mine close up you could see the mould line ,so removed all of that and rounded to smooth. Also where the teeth engage in the track there were some that had a slight reduce opening. Again a moulding thing. After i done that to them they have been as good as gold since.

It may be none of these things but it looks like you have looked over most already.

good luck
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
jackeb
Lance Corporal

Post by jackeb »

I had a similar problem with mine. It's worth checking that the idlers are running square and true, in relation to the tracks. What I did, in the end, was to use some stiff springs (I used springs that tension a Stratocasters trem arm) between the gear box axle and the drive wheel and used blue thread lock on the bolt. That way I could adjust the alignment just right. I run metal tracks, very loose and, unless I do something silly , like fast reversing turns on grass, the tracks have been as good as gold.
Hope this is useful.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Thanks for the input guys.

Added a few more washes to the drive axle (had 2 before and now 5) and appears to help reduce frequency of track coming off. But interesting thing I noticed is the wobbly of the drive wheels on both side. Thought this might of been brought on by sitting on so many washers but took wheels off and axle actually moves of centre. ???

Going to try more washers and adjust the rear road wheels as noticed the track horns felt tight before going on the idler to see if that helps.

Failing that probably need to send gearboxes back for replacement.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Update.

Added an extra washer to one side, and adjusted the rear 2 road wheels per side so there was virtually no side play and lined up with the idler wheel on both sides.

Took for test drive on front lawn and was fine :D but on back lawn with longer grass and slope still comes off :'(

So getting somewhere slowly, but now another problem. One of the gearboxes appears to siezed :-< don't know how just noticed one side slower then stopped working with the motor, can turn by hand but loads of resistance.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Was it that all brass 4:1 box you have fitted Tankbear ?

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

caddyshack wrote:Was it that all brass 4:1 box you have fitted Tankbear ?
Yes.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Ok gearbox sorted

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... f=1&t=8062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Played around a bit more with fine adjusting the plastic road wheels (focusing on back two each side) so that there is minimul side movement in the track.

This has helped a lot, but still happening. So next going to do the same on the rest of the road wheels.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com

Return to “General Questions”