Early Tiger I - Help.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
adler
Recruit

Early Tiger I - Help.

Post by adler »

Hi

I'm converting a basic HL Tiger to an early variant (the one with 2 storage bins) and I would really appreciate a little help/advice.

Firstly, can anyone point me towards any pictures or drawings showing the engine deck and in particular the engine air intake cover. As there is no feifel air cleaning system I need to change the cover - maybe the same as the cover on the mid/late tigers?

Secondly, where might I buy the 2 storage bins? I was reluctant to go to Tankzone (as I'm a tight-fisted Scot!) and in any event they seem to be constantly "out of Stock".

I hope that someone can help.

Thanks.

Dave.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Re: Early Tiger I - Help.

Post by Dietrich »

Hi adler,
Here is a picture of the location of the bins and the rear deck that you need ( IMHO They look awful !! ) and I have NO idea where you will get them other than lots of money or the scratch build option.
1623481.jpg
Just as an alternative idea ,how about making the 'Early-mid version' that has the Panzer IV storage box (AKA Rommel box)...instead. The part is readily available and cheap and they also come with hinges so that you can actually open them.
Follow this link
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... .php?f=137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are several Tigers in the list that I posted that have the Panzer IV storage box and it looks quite different to the more usual shape. :D
Alb
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
buckeye36
Lance Corporal

Post by buckeye36 »

I'm doing that very thing right now:
Attachments
DSCF2411 - Copy.JPG
Tamiya Tiger 1, Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS, Tamiya Jagdpanther G1, ElMod Jagdpanther G2, ElMod KV-1E, ElMod StuG 40 G
adler
Recruit

Post by adler »

Guys

Thanks very much for your replies and suggestion about using the more readily available Pz. IV box. I think I may well go down that route.

Dave.
buckeye36
Lance Corporal

Post by buckeye36 »

FYI the P3/4 turret bin is longer then the Tiger bin, so it hits the antenna.
I discovered this after I installed the rigid schumo antenna.......I'm going to switch mine out for the Aber part with a spring attachment.
Gives me a good excuse to switch it from AM to 2.4.
Tamiya Tiger 1, Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS, Tamiya Jagdpanther G1, ElMod Jagdpanther G2, ElMod KV-1E, ElMod StuG 40 G
adler
Recruit

Post by adler »

Thanks for the warning.

As you've done this before, can you tell me if the Pz III/IV box sits flush with the turret side or is there a gap? Also, how does the box sit in relation to the "lifting point"( I don't know its correct name)? I've seen some drawings with the top of the box below the lifting point but other pictures with the top of the box in line with the top of the turret.

Things are never as simple as they first appear.

Dave
buckeye36
Lance Corporal

Post by buckeye36 »

The top of the bin is slightly higher then the turret top.
The arch along the inside of the turret bin permits access to the lifting point.
Here are a couple of more pics of mine as well as a real example (Pz.Abt.503).
Attachments
497536228_dGHsk-O.jpg
DSCF2404 - Copy.JPG
DSCF2407 - Copy.JPG
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi adler and Buckeye36,
Yes the panzer IV storage ( Rommel Boxes) were mounted high up on the rear...But since it was sometimes done as a field modification then some were done like this..............
Copy of gdwhitehelmet.jpg
I have a photo of one fitted somewhere but this drawing is from a Russian book about the Tiger 1 and is remarkably accurate and detailed. I guess that they did it like this to make it easy to get to the lifting eye...but I think that the 'Flush mounted' looks better.
Alb.
Never Forget......
buckeye36
Lance Corporal

Post by buckeye36 »

Nice find!
I sure could have used those drawings when I was straining my eyes looking at old grainey black and white pics.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi buckeye36,
Is there any other parts that you are struggling with or are not sure on ??...if so just say and I will have a look through my Tiger files and see what I can find, the same goes for you adler...as I have sort of hijacked your thread a bit here :{
Alb.
Never Forget......

Return to “General Questions”