Asiatam recoil problem

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ranman38
Recruit

Asiatam recoil problem

Post by ranman38 »

I installed a new asiatam recoil unit and got it all hooked up. Hit the left joystick up and got a recoil and flash, etc. However, that is it. It would not fire again. I unplugged battery and replugged, and got one more shot. I emailed dominique at rctank.de and he said it must be fully charged battery so I made sure battery was fully charged and tried again last night.
Now I get 0 recoils. It will not shoot. I can manually hit microswitch and get flash and sound and track recoil, but I cannot get the recoil unit to recoil. I am testing the unit without a barrel, so i know it is not just a jam or something.
Is there any way to test the unit outside of the tank? Can i hook power up somewhere on the motors, or some combination of the wires and get the recoil to fire?
Thanks for any help
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Re: Asiatam recoil problem

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

I was hoping someone would post a reply to this. I have an asiatam unit ready to instal in my HL Tiger but I'm rather nervous at the prospect. Is yours a Tiger? The instructions I initially received from Welsh Dragon were for a Panzer III but I managed to find the one for the Tiger on another site. What did you have? Tim
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

I got some clear instructions from dominique by email before as i was having problems. Lost the email though. I'm having a recoil problem with panzer 111 but will try to sort it when my new parts arrive from rctank.de. My tiger recoil works well though connected to an elmod. Are you using the high voltage flash. The recoil is also hooked up to the switch in the turret that switches on the bb shooter. If switch is in off position no recoil. I will be taking mine apart again soon so can check wiring if you need to know where wires connect.
ranman38
Recruit

Post by ranman38 »

Yes it is in a tiger. Dominique has sent me emails with all the standard trouble shooting tips. I had tried them all before posting here and emailing him. However, I have not had time to retest the unit. I am wanting to setup and "external" test environment with an rx18/receiver/battery and connections but have not finished that as of yet. I think I will re-install in the tiger and try again.

I did have switch in proper position. :)

I will redo all connections, and try again.

The unit worked at first. I was happy when first try yielded a nice recoil and flash. But then nothing on second try. :( and so on as my post said.

Anyway, I will keep you all informed.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Have you conected the earth to the battery.There are three main wires to the recoil,1 positive and 2 neg(earth).The system works on neg signal so one of the negatives is wired to the gun fire wire and one is conected direct to the battery.
When you move the left stick up it starts the recoil (its only a a signal)opens the micro switch now it works all on its own till it hits the microswitch and stops.
This how its supposed to work,last week I chucked 2 of these units in the bin,I found they are very tempremental sometimes they worked fine ,other times they did exactly what you have.I find that using the Heng long ones are more reliable not as big in the recoil,have modified to make them recoil fast and return slow,but they work every time.

regards pete
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

started reworking my panzer 111. So many problems with this one. new turret motor. new gun. elevation works now. Gun firing sound good. high voltage flash good. no recoil. Gun is stuck in full retract. Wired same as tiger but no recoil. This the second asiatam recoil I have tried.
ranman38
Recruit

Post by ranman38 »

hmmm not sounding too good. I will try it all again this weekend.
ranman38
Recruit

Post by ranman38 »

I re-soldered connections to switch, installed a connector for the recoil to the neg connection on main switch. Soldered 3 wires straight to small connection board in hull top and tested. Got numerous consecutive shots. Every once in a while would miss a shot, but I would say it was performing well. I want to use a servo wire and connector from 8 pin conn board straight to recoil without using the small connector board and see how that goes.

Return to “General Questions”