Heng Long Smoke Boxes wired into Tamiya DMD/MFU?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Heng Long Smoke Boxes wired into Tamiya DMD/MFU?

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

I would be obliged if someone could enlighten me to how I might wire the Heng Long smoke units up to my Tamiya MFU to get them to function. I assume it can be done rather easily to function in some prototypical manner, however I have yet to find a single blog to explain the wiring when used in concert with Tamiya electronics. I would rather not experiment considering the cost to replace an MFU or a DMD. If the MFU I am using with the Sherman matters to instruct me, it's the Pershing unit.
Kindest Regards,
-Dan
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Heng Long Smoke Boxes wired into Tamiya DMD/MFU?

Post by sparks »

As far as I am aware, no smoker needs to be connected to the MFU or DMD, they just need a supply from the battery, prefferably through a switch, and a connection to the drive motors to give you more smoke the faster the motors are running.
Why don't you go for one of the Super Smokers mentioned on this forum, got one in my Sherman, works a treat :thumbup:
sparks
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi X82d Pathfinder,
The first thing I would say is scrap the Heng Long Smoke unit! They are unreliable, noisy and really do not produce that much smoke. What you need is this
http://rctankwars.com/Products.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super smoker proportional.....its expensive at $55 BUT it is the best by a long way......Sparks and Saxondog have them fitted and I think Sparks has a youTube video.....Brilliant !!!! the smoke speeds up as the engine does and almost totally silent..it uses a small computer style fan to blow out the smoke.....you could try a DIY version but with your EXPENSIVE electronics its best to pay the money.
Alb.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I purchased the new style Heng Long proportional smokers. My understanding was they were supposed to produce smoke based on idle and movement. I have two units, however I have never had anything but Tamiya tanks, which as you know don't incorporate smokers period.
I liked the one on RC Tank Wars. That may be the way to go!
When I finish the firefly I will be completing my King Tiger and I will have to revamp my Tiger I.
This site and all your builds are going to be the end of my marriage. LOL

-Dan
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Alb-
As you know a mistake with a Tamiya unit is about 150.00 on average. I just didn't want to experiment if I could avoid it as far as wiring into the DMD if these were indeed throttle controlled. The one on the site you posted looks like a great idea. It seems very compact and the YOUTUBE videos were impressive.

Regards,
-Dan
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Dan,
Thank you for the comments, and glad that you like the suggestion. The smoker that I linked to ONLY connects to a +ve supply, a -ve ground and then to a motor which, as its speed increases tells the unit to speed up and produce more smoke.
I am certain that there is no way that your expensive electronics could be damaged by this unit and as there are no connections into the DMD unit .You have seen the amount of smoke and I think that it is VERY impressive...and silent :~
Alb.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Alb:

I decided to order the smoke unit today. I will keep you posted on how well it suits my Sherman. There isn't much room left!

Regards,
-Dan
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by sparks »

X82d Pathfinder wrote:Alb:

I decided to order the smoke unit today. I will keep you posted on how well it suits my Sherman. There isn't much room left!

Regards,
-Dan

Tell me about it :haha:
I assume you have removed the speaker box, or made it smaller, certainly a tight fit in there.
sparks
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Alb:
Yes, I reduced the speaker box and built the sides from plastic card stock. It looked like I would have to do it anyway with the VVSS conversion because of bogie mounting. I did it right, no wobble!
I just completed the rear idler mounts today. I scratch built them only using a small portion of the Mato unit. They're now accurate.
-Dan

Return to “General Questions”