KV-1 Metal Track Removal

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tankbear
Lieutenant

KV-1 Metal Track Removal

Post by Tankbear »

How do you remove the metal tracks on a HL KV-1?

On the Tiger I manage to spin the tracks round and off the idle wheel but on the KV-1 there isn't enought slack. Tried taking the sprocket wheel off but there is a plastic arm between the front and back parts.

Only other way I can think of is to split them, but thought I check before I tried that.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
caddyshack
Sergeant

Re: KV-1 Metal Track Removal

Post by caddyshack »

Hi Tankbear
I always split my tracks on my tiger's..i use one of those 1mm screwdrivers that came out of those set,that were never any good at undoing screws with any way..at least i have found a job it does work at :haha:
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Cheers Caddyshack.

I've found on the Tiger pulling some slack and turning over the idler wheel you could make the track teeth ride over and therefore quick easy removal. Easier on plastic but still possible on metal.

The KV-1 however doesn't have the same amount of slack and one row of larger teeth central on the tracks, so no way can use same method.

Just didn't want to split the tracks as so fiddly to put back together and would imigane even worse with less slack.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Mine are metal so yes very little slack in the tracks..
Heres the secret :shh: get her indoors to hold the 2 ends of the track togeather for you while you just push the pin in :haha:
Works for me every time :shifty: it does cost me a cup of coffee though.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Sorted.

Don't know if same for plastic version but the metal idle wheels can be removed dead easy. Small screwdriver (screw is philips but I used a slot/terminal driver). Once that is off loads of slack to get off.

Plus need to take lid off tank so can take off top rollers.

Did mean to take some pictures to help explain but my phone battery decided to give in.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

I needed to idlers wheels off to try solve the looseness so took some snaps to help others.

First job take lid off.

Then unscrew

And remove idlers wheel

That leaves the tracks easy to remove

Putting back together is reverse.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com

Return to “General Questions”