Heng Long Tiger strange behavior

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
fatalerrorstu
Recruit

Heng Long Tiger strange behavior

Post by fatalerrorstu »

Hi All,

I would like to ask for some help regarding some strange behavior that my Heng Long Tiger is showing since I recently upgraded it to with an RX18 and receiver board, S&S Transmitter.

Originally the tank was a non S&S version which I got as a gift, I was not happy with the non proportional controls, so I decided to upgrade.

I purchased the following from Ebay:
- RX18 + Receiver from Dave
- Used Transmitter plus crystals from another seller.
- Speaker

I removed all the old non S&S electronics and installed the new stuff without any issues. Before putting it back together I quickly tested that it was working and it seemed fine, but of course I didn't test it extensively.

Now, to my problems..

Basically it seems there is a couple issues and I will list them below, I am trying to work out what could be causing them and I am thinking that it might be the Transmitter, but it doesn't add up.

- Turrent only turns to the right when the tank is stationary, but will turn to the left if I push the joystick semi upwards or downwards to the left. BUT, once I start driving the tank, all is working fine. While the tank is in motion the turret will turn left, right, fire and cannon moving up and down, once I stop it doesn't function correctly. Strange hey.

- 360 spin of the tank. The tank seems to spin on the spot fine but moves too much, so say for example I issue a slight spin control from the joystick but it turns a lot and can be hard to control, loosing the proportional feel. All other turns feel OK, but the 360 spin is kind of uncontrollable.

So these are my issues, I am really not sure what can be causing it, the Transmitter, RX18? Its strange.

Anyway, I hope someone can help. Please let me know if you need anymore info. I could also provide a video if that helps.

Thanks.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Re: Heng Long Tiger strange behavior

Post by Dietrich »

Hi,Fatalerrorstu, :~
This sounds like a really weird problem....I have never heard of it before...since you bought the RX-18 Board from Dave, send him a PM and see if he can suggest a solution.
Alb.
fatalerrorstu
Recruit

Post by fatalerrorstu »

Hi Dietrich,

Thanks for your reply. It certainly is a strange problem. I will PM Dave then.

Thanks.
buckeye36
Lance Corporal

Post by buckeye36 »

I had a similar turret issue on my PIII, was the controller.
Tamiya Tiger 1, Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS, Tamiya Jagdpanther G1, ElMod Jagdpanther G2, ElMod KV-1E, ElMod StuG 40 G
woodspirit
Recruit

Post by woodspirit »

My HL Tiger gets quirky sometimes and the turret won't turn to the right when stationary. I found out that you just have to push lightly on the reverse joystick (not enough to make it go in reverse or engage the engine sound, just slightly back) and everything works fine. I am new to RC tanking and figured my tank is like every other machine I own - each piece of machinery has it's own quirks in the way it operates and that is ok with me - it is the quirks that make that particular piece of machinery unique and as long as I can figure them out and get the machine to do what it is supposed to do I am happy. Hopefully the quirk is not an indication I have a bad controller! :)
fatalerrorstu
Recruit

Post by fatalerrorstu »

Hello All,

sorry for coming back to this thread so late. I can happily announce that my problem was resolved by replacing the board in my transmitter. Dave generously sent me a board for the transmitter and after getting rid of the old board and replacing it with the one from Dave, everything was working fine. The turret now rotates to the left and the 360 spin works much better.

Its crazy that such a thing can go wrong, but I am happy that its now resolved.

Thanks to all for your help and a special thanks to Dave for sending me the board.

Stuart.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi One upgrade you need is change the gearboxes(go for metal ones 3;1 gears are the best but cost more),Because the ones in the non Smoke&sound are very fast indeed twice as fast as the standard ones,or at least change the black cap motors for white cap,you will find just with the motor change it will be easyer to drive.
If you put the 3;1 gears in you wont need to do anyother changes to the drive .you can fit metal tracks ect without any problem,also the Tigers need to have the supension upgraded and strengthend.Best way to do it is buy this from Steve at welshdragon http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/asia ... -512-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best lower upgrade fro the Tiger then you can fit metal wheels if you wish.

regards pete

Return to “General Questions”