1/16 Mato M36B1 Steering problem

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
elvis3006
Recruit

1/16 Mato M36B1 Steering problem

Post by elvis3006 »

Got a problem with my Mato M36B1, when it drives forward it always tends to drift to the left slightly causing me to add a little right stick constantly to keep it straight. I figure this might be common because even when I drove real M113 APC's in the Army sometimes I would get a track that needed constant pressure on a final drive to keep it straight by pulling on one tiller bar. What happens now when driving forward and the tank drifts left I go to apply right stick and immediately the tank goes into reverse. I checked track tightness and this is good, but I noticed that when the engine is off the left track will move freely by hand without binding but the right track is very stiff and will not move as freely. Any ideas on what the issue could be and how to remedy it. Tank you. Rob
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: 1/16 Mato M36B1 Steering problem

Post by tankme »

Could be a number of things. One of the gearboxes could be just a tad slower than the other. Motors have a +/- tolerance or it could be a bad bearing in the gearbox. Could be that one track is tighter than the other. Could be one of the motor mounts is slightly off -as in not straight or completely flat. Make sure both tracks are tracking completely straight. Make sure all the wheels and idlers run smooth.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

...and another possibility: perhaps the tracks are binding a bit between the pads. In this case, I have seen a suggestion here on RCTW (I wish I could remember exactly where). Lightly file the ends of each track pad. Supposedly one does not need to take the tracks apart (WHEW!), but only to fold the pads and file the ends down slightly. I plan to try this with my PITA Mato M10 one of these days. :D
elvis3006
Recruit

Post by elvis3006 »

Thank you for the replies everyone, seems now the M36B1 not only is it able to steer right without slamming into reverse, it will not turn left either. Only moves forward, reverse, will not turn left and when turning right it goes into reverse lol. All other functions work, turret rotation, main gun elevation and depression, bow MG, and lights work with sound. :wtf: :S
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Check to make sure your motor connections are still connected. I had an issue where a motor wire came off while running my tank.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Hi, if you are using the original Mato transmitter check that the tracking is centralised, there is a button
that slides from side to side below the gimbal. :thumbup: :wave:

Return to “General Questions”