Taigen Sherman M4a3/75mm and others

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
mitchell
Lance Corporal

Taigen Sherman M4a3/75mm and others

Post by mitchell »

Treated myself to one of these recently. I was really attracted to that solid looking metal tub chassis and in real life it is absolutely bullet proof. The whole model is constructed, in my opinion to stand up to abuse. The turret seems like it is one cast piece of metal. This is how RC tanks should be built. Has Taigen used this formula in other tanks? The JS2 has the same construction, are there others?
Last edited by mitchell on Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jagdpanther - IBU2
-King Tiger - IBU2U full
-Tiger 1 - Clark TK22
-Rctank.de Panther F - IBU2
-Jagdtiger - IBU2 pro
-Taigen/Mato Panzer 3 - IBU2
-Panzer 3 - IBU2U full option
-Taigen/Mato Stug 3 - IBU2
- Sherman M4a3 75mm - v3
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Taigen Sherman M4a3/76mm and others

Post by tankme »

My Taigen T34/85 has a metal/plastic lower hull with plastic upper hull and metal turret. It's pretty much bulletproof also.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

IS-2 hull is also very sturdy made of one chinesium block. Other tanks (Panther, T-34, Panzer III) have metal/plastic combination but also much better than Heng Long.

Side notes: use Loctite on bolts holding road and sprocket wheels. It tends to unscrew.
tankme

Post by tankme »

My Taigen IS-2 ran really well at the last battle, but it was being powered by a Clark TK40 and the Asiatam recoil was replaced with a 3D printed servo unit.
Derek
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Over the past, what, fifteen years (or more?) Taigen has sold tanks ranging from virtually all plastic to virtually all metal with a variety of paint and camouflage schemes. For example, I have a Stug III in mostly plastic (except for metal drive components) with Dunkelgelb, Dunkelgrau, and Rotbraun camouflage. Now I am working on another in metal (except for a few decorative items, e.g., the tools), but the same camouflage. (In fact, I am trying to identify just where the particular camouflage scheme was used [Italy?] so I can choose markings.)

My favored sources of Taigen tanks are:

in the US: https://www.taigentanks.com/
in Germany: https://heng-long-panzer.de/ I call it "Licmas" after Mattias Lickel, the owner
https://www.torro-shop.de/-Startseite

However, there are more good sources used by others here on RCTW. I have not bought a Taigen (or Torro) tank for a few years, but I look for the top quality with metal drive, tracks, and V3 sound, sometimes even in the fancy wooden crate. The wooden crate is no bargain, but a friend and I priced materials making our own crates and it was more expensive yet. :O
tankme

Post by tankme »

I could say the Taigen KV-1 chassis is great, but it's not. I really like it and have 3 of them as I think it produces a nice realistic running tank, but it requires some tweaking and maintenance to keep it running well which I think is why Taigen has stopped selling it. Now you can only get it through Torro. Also good to have some extra suspension arms for it in the spares box.
Derek
mitchell
Lance Corporal

Post by mitchell »

Yeah i think theres 3 or 4 models at the moment, the IS2, a new T34? and the M4a3. I have added DKLM's aluminium turret ring and turret ring motor/gearbox, which really adds to the stability. These parts are dirt cheap, its crazy. i have converted most of my tanks over
-Jagdpanther - IBU2
-King Tiger - IBU2U full
-Tiger 1 - Clark TK22
-Jagdtiger - IBU2 pro
- Sherman M4a3 75mm - v3
mitchell
Lance Corporal

Post by mitchell »

For scratch builds you cant go wrong with the Pz3 chassis. If you buy all the parts and assemble the chassis it will run beautifully, the sprockers wll mesh beautfully with the tracks. You can go down the regular turreted tank route (Pz3) or you can go down the Stug3 route. No matter the electronics or gearboxes chosen you will have a model which will run and run and run.
Now, try to do the above using available Panther parts and you will enter a world of expense and frustration.
-Jagdpanther - IBU2
-King Tiger - IBU2U full
-Tiger 1 - Clark TK22
-Jagdtiger - IBU2 pro
- Sherman M4a3 75mm - v3
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

There’s a king tiger and tiger also built much the same way although now days the seem to be torro
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
mitchell
Lance Corporal

Post by mitchell »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:There’s a king tiger and tiger also built much the same way although now days the seem to be torro
Really? i didnt know that. Gonna have a search for it......
-Jagdpanther - IBU2
-King Tiger - IBU2U full
-Tiger 1 - Clark TK22
-Jagdtiger - IBU2 pro
- Sherman M4a3 75mm - v3

Return to “General Questions”