Mato double pinned tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Mato double pinned tracks

Post by SoCalBobS »

I just received a set of Mato duckbill tracks for my HL Sherman. The double pins are a very tight fit. Before I start hammering away to assemble them and break something, can anyone describe the correct procedure? For instance, I'm guessing the knurled ends of the pins are inserted from alternating sides to keep the links from falling off, but that's just a guess. Mato says there is an online assembly instruction, but I haven't found it yet. Thanks everyone!

Edit: My second guess is that both pins go through the inside track link, through their respective track pads, through the outside track link and finally through the duckbill. The knurled tips end up at the inside link. ?
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:
Snowwolflair
Private

Re: Mato double pinned tracks

Post by Snowwolflair »

They are a nightmare. They are machine assembled and compressed and the ends of the pins get faired in the process. The only way to get them out without cracking the ends is to file them down by about 0.5mm.
SoCalBobS
Lance Corporal

Re: Mato double pinned tracks

Post by SoCalBobS »

Thanks, S. A hammer and a bench vise was necessary to assemble them. They work well once installed.
sM4 Sherman 12.jpg
Fortunately extra parts were included. I can see that removing pins is accomplished by "destruction".
Renault FT, British WW1 Mk. 4), Pz 1A DAK, 1B, II L, III, StuG III, PzKpfw IV, StuG IV, King Tiger, T-34/76, KV-1E, T-35A 3DP, Zik-2, T-90, M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, M41 Bulldog, M1 Abrams. In the works: Ram II, Pz 1 Breda. :crazy:

Return to “General Questions”