Rattle Can Red Oxide Primer

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Lenny Warren
Private

Rattle Can Red Oxide Primer

Post by Lenny Warren »

Hi folks,

As I sit here in my covid positive self isolation, wondering which rattle can red oxide is the best colour match?

I need it for my daughter's PzIII build, but need to order from Amazon as I'm stuck in house for 10 days.

I can get Jenolite Ant-Rust primer - Red Oxide Primer
or
Simoniz Primer - Red Oxide
or
Plasti-kote Metal Primer Oxide-Red
or
Tetrosyl Red Oxide Primer

Or are they all the same shade of red or ????
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Rattle Can Red Oxide Primer

Post by jarndice »

Hi Lenny take care of that Covid I hear it can be quite nasty :lolno:
I always use the big Simoniz red oxide rattle can(Never from Amazon though don't ask) on all my WW2 German armour.
I offer a tip, If you have a Tamiya or Humbrol rattle can prise the spray head off of it and put that on the red oxide can,
You will get a finer spray. :thumbup:
Then remove it and wash it in cellulose thinners before putting it back on the Tamiya/Humbrol rattle can.

Edit, If you have any metal on the PZ111 you will need to paint the metal with Etching primer first or the paint will not take.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

jarndice wrote:Hi Lenny take care of that Covid I hear it can be quite nasty :lolno:
I always use the big Simoniz red oxide rattle can(Never from Amazon though don't ask) on all my WW2 German armour.
I offer a tip, If you have a Tamiya or Humbrol rattle can prise the spray head off of it and put that on the red oxide can,
You will get a finer spray. :thumbup:
Then remove it and wash it in cellulose thinners before putting it back on the Tamiya/Humbrol rattle can.
Edit, If you have any metal on the PZ111 you will need to paint the metal with Etching primer first or the paint will not take.
Cheers, ordered from Amazon. :) I'll etch prime first, got plenty of that in shed.

Still feeling a bit rough, but hey ho...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Take care to get plenty of rest, Lenny. I was given a dose of Covid 19 as it first came to the US, long before masks or vaccines. I made it through under hilariously bad circumstances, and it was not fun. Don't give that nasty virus a fighting chance: rest, rest, rest.

Jarndice, what do you recommend for an "etching primer"? Here in the 'States I have been using readily-available Rust-Oleum 2X red oxide for both steps, but maybe a specific etching primer would be better.
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

I have used the rust oleum primer with no problems so far. I usually use Tamiya paints over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Doc sorry just catching up on my mail. :{
I use "Mr Metal Primer-R" from Mr Hobby which I apply with a brush, (You need cellulose thinners to clean the brush)
Expensive as all get out but the little bottle lasts for years :thumbup:
I do use a military spec rattle can etching primer but that is for complete metal hulls and turrets.
Warning it is temperature sensitive.IE It is ineffective below 15c
After applying the Etching primer I then cover every surface with Red Oxide, I did try it without etching primer once but the top coat would not take,
I do not know whether Rustoleum is available in the UK because being a cheapscate I buy a very big rattlecan from an Auto shop for pennies and just change the nozzle from a Tamiya rattle can to give a fine spray.
Hope that helps :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Yes, jarndice, thanks for the help. I know the Mr. Hobby line and use some of the products. But some of the Mr. Hobby paints are not available in the US.

I cannot confirm whether the Rust-Oleum is actually a metal-etching primer. As the brand name suggests, Rust-Oleum has from the outset been a paint intended for metal and more recently has been advertised as suitable for plastic (as my experience confirms). I don't know if Rust-Oleum is even available outside North America, but it is less expensive than model paints and comes in much larger spray bombs.

My experience suggests that among myriad other problems with Mato metal tanks (of which I have one), the paint scratches at "boo!" I wonder if Mato does/did not use a metal etching primer.
Uni150
Recruit

Post by Uni150 »

I use hammerite special metal primer for my tanks. I brush it and it sticks very well to metal and plastic. I have only brushed it but assume that it could be sprayed. See Hammerite 5084909 Special Metals Primer in Red 250ml https://amzn.eu/d/8X2qy7V
Current project T-28 super heavy tank
HL King tiger
HL Tiger 1 x 2
HL Sherman
Torro leopard 2
Taigen Tiger 1
HL Abrams
HL Stug 3
Tamiya leopard 1 modified and upgrade
Taigen sturmtiger
Heng long challenger 2
Sure there will be more! :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I know we have Rustoleum on sale in the UK, they sell it in Screwfix, but sadly not the primer, so I'm guessing someone in the UK must sell the primer.

Well, they sell it on Amazon UK.

Rust-Oleum AE0040030E8 400ml Surface Primer Spray Paint-Red Matt, 400 ml (Pack of 1) : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Simoniz primer is cheaper on Amazon with a slightly bigger tin.

Simoniz Red Oxide Primer 500ML : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I check the UK link that SOG put up and nosed about a bit to see what I could find. I do not see the primers that I regularly use here in the states. Otherwise the spray paint seems to be the same and in the newer spray heads starting to show up here across the puddle. I wish I could be more help.

Return to “General Questions”