Atak Zimmerit - best adhesive to use

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
whitewolf
Recruit

Atak Zimmerit - best adhesive to use

Post by whitewolf »

Hi,
I've ordered an Atak resin Zimmerit set for my Tamiya King Tiger. Can anyone recommend the best adhesive to use with these sets? I understood they recommend Microscale Liquidtape, but that in theory enables you to peel it off and is more suited to static models?
Thanks
Koenigstiger 007
Recruit

Re: Atak Zimmerit - best adhesive to use

Post by Koenigstiger 007 »

Hello from germany,

I accidentally discovered Vallejo Texture's terrain paste "White Pumice" some time ago. It's a bit grainy - like the original Zimmerit - and works well with a small spatula. The Zimmerit and the texture adhere well to the model and you can also correct the ATAK Zimmerit - which is no longer possible when using superglue - apart from the "mess" on the hands. The excess texture at the seams is carefully spread and then covers them well.

Good luck and "si vis pacem - para bellum !"

Guenther
>>make love - not Schrott (scrap metal)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Atak recommend a two part epoxy like Five Minute Araldite so that what I used.
Slow cure and clean to use, but a bit smelly
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

but does anyone try to produce zimmerit by themselves? necessarily Atak?
whitewolf
Recruit

Post by whitewolf »

Met5 wrote:but does anyone try to produce zimmerit by themselves? necessarily Atak?
I had intended to build a non-zimm Tiger, but then decided I liked a couple of zimm paint schemes. I opted for Atak because a few people recommended it, and time constraints.
panzerrob
Recruit

Post by panzerrob »

Hi all,

I use always 2 component glue, the 5 minute type gives you time to adjust the sheets.
Then some putty to smooth the edges and ready you are.

Hope this helps.

Rob from Holland
whitewolf
Recruit

Post by whitewolf »

Many thanks to everyone who has replied, greatly appreciated! I had wondered if a decent place would have done the trick, gives you time to adjust etc and easy to remove excess? I've used 2 part Araldite in the past and thought it might be a bit thick for this kind of work?
whitewolf
Recruit

Post by whitewolf »

Koenigstiger 007 wrote:Hello from germany,

I accidentally discovered Vallejo Texture's terrain paste "White Pumice" some time ago. It's a bit grainy - like the original Zimmerit - and works well with a small spatula. The Zimmerit and the texture adhere well to the model and you can also correct the ATAK Zimmerit - which is no longer possible when using superglue - apart from the "mess" on the hands. The excess texture at the seams is carefully spread and then covers them well.

Good luck and "si vis pacem - para bellum !"

Guenther
Thanks Gunther, never heard of the stuff but will look it up! You actually used this stuff as the adhesive?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

For larger pieces of photoetch I use more of a rubber cement to attach it since flexing CA glue can cause it to let go. I would think a more flexible adhesive would work for the zim also as long as both sides are scuffed a little before gluing.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
whitewolf
Recruit

Post by whitewolf »

Rubber cement sounds reasonable, can you recommend a particular example?

Return to “General Questions”