1/16 Tiger, what should I buy?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Lenny Warren
Private

1/16 Tiger, what should I buy?

Post by Lenny Warren »

I had been about to buy a Tamiya 1/16 RC Tiger but I’m having second thoughts…

I’m not really into modelling or RC, I’m a militaria collector and love military history. My office (man cave) is full of militaria collectibles so I really want a 1/16 Tiger as a showpiece. I’ll occasionally drive it though.

So, would I be better buying a Taigen or Heng Long and just weathering it?

It’s not about money, I’m treating myself for my 55th birthday, but just want the best and most authentic looking Tiger for display with occasional driving.

Thoughts?
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: 1/16 Tiger, what should I buy?

Post by Ad Lav »

Tamiya is a better runner but the electronics are a bit dated now. Works perfectly for 99% of people and you will have no issues with it at all. I ran one as a battler for 5/6 years and had no issues.

Selling one of my runners in the for sale section actually.

You can go nuts and add brass parts to make it 100% accurate and detailed.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you are looking for a ready made 'shelf queen' that you can drive now and again then there are a few options. They each drive well and have all the usual features (providing you purchase the latest versions, so new, as there has been a recent step change in quality of electronics) but in the end, if their appearance is the most important feature, then you need to see them and decide which you like best for the price.

The price of a RTR is not dissimilar to that of a good static kit which is more accurate and detailed, which is my why some of us modify kits into fully functional RC models but it helps to be an experienced modeller to achieve that.

Maybe the best compromise would be to check out the RTR options within your budget and then consider what details you want to add, then decide on a camo design and get your painting skills up to scratch. Good luck, there's plenty of browsing to do here for ideas.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you want accuracy in an r/c Tiger 1 then you have little choice but to purchase a Tamiya Tiger 1 and now we come to the downsides,
New it only comes as a kit and it will cost twice as much as either Heng Longs or Taigens most expensive RTR Tiger 1s BUT it is not difficult to build and anytime you need help we are here 24/7,
Personally I would buy a Taigen Tiger 1 and read up everything there is to know about the build from the many entry's to be found on the Forum,
Externally there is not a lot of work needed to get a decent facsimile if you don't mind the incorrect location of the turret, you just remove the two spare aerial holders and replace the one on the right flank with a length of brass tube, fit an aerial and add PE Engine grilles and a fire extinguisher.
I absolutely would not stop there but if you only want it looking good then that should do and you would have saved £300 plus over the price of the Tamiya.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I was going to post an answer but I’ll just echo what jarndice said. It’s pretty much the route I took.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) Just for information, does this also exist? 8O
https://www.rctank.de/AEROMATE-TIGRE-I-FULL-METALL
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I, too, second the above. If it were just one tank only, and at a lower cost than Tamiya, but with more modern electronics, I would choose a Torro or Taigen (really the same) Tiger 1 with the V3 (version 3) electronics (good Tiger 1 engine sound). Here are some possibilities just to get you started, but do look around. I would also advise against going for a less expensive version, for at this level there is all the quality and durability your shelf-queen and occasional runner Tiger will need (like my tanks).

https://www.torro-shop.de/1/16-rc-tiger ... camouflage
https://heng-long-panzer.de/de/tiger-i- ... -tarn.html
https://www.rctank.de/Tiger-I-MID-360-2 ... wooden-box

Unfortunately, Forgebear, who is highly respected by RCTW regulars and from whose shop shipping might be least expensive for you (post-Brexit, I think), is out of everything but the kits. You would have to build it yourself, including painting. However, I have ordered from all the firms I list above and have had fine service from all of them, including survival of the rigors of shipping here to the US.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Don't hesitate. Tamiya Tiger 1...

Tamiya Tiger 1 is a stunning model and packaging is simply incredible. :thumbup:
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Lenny, I like Fred's disagreeing with me. That's a fine feature of RCTW: differing opinions and good natured fun. Fred has more modeling skill in his little finger than I have ever dreamed of having. Check out his remarkable work by clicking on his name.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

FredtheFrench wrote:Don't hesitate. Tamiya Tiger 1...

Tamiya Tiger 1 is a stunning model and packaging is simply incredible. :thumbup:
I agree with you :thumbup: but Lenny already hinted that he wanted a RTR which is why I suggested a Taigen Tiger 1.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”