taigen panther wheels?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
glenny25
Private

taigen panther wheels?

Post by glenny25 »

Hi Lads building a taigen 1/16 panther all metal, added the wheels and tracks today for a test run, both front wheel rims have had the paint rub off , is this normal? also front left wheel seems to click , lift ,clicking do i need to re fit it? thanks glen
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: taigen panther wheels?

Post by HERMAN BIX »

If you are talking about the wheels that run in the middle of the track guide horns, it could just be tight tolerances.
The rim on real Panthers was worn shiny and clean of any paint from being in contact with the guide horns.
I assume yours is just new, and still has to be run a bit to find its happy place.
Mine are all cleaned of paint on the edges of the middle run of roadwheels where the guide horns touch, and when new, they sometimes got stuck momentarily causing the track to lift the wheel & the click is when it releases.

Check your fitting work by all means, but give it some run time if you cant find anything wrong ;)
Its Taigen, she'll be right mate
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

I'm presently doing a Panther G build myself and, as Mr Bix points out, this is normal wear on the rim faces of the inner wheels. The wear on the Taigen wheels reflects that on the actual tank - here is a pic from my little research collection where it can been seen quite clearly;
Panther G 121.jpg
Panther G 121.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Notice on some of the wheels you can see the track horns against the wheel rim faces.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Same with late Tigers, Tiger II, Jagdtigers etc. On mine I sanded those rims to bare chinesium to have uniform wear.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Dr. P,

That is a great photo! I knew those road wheels were close together, I just didn't know they were that close together!
Kaczor wrote: chinesium
Kaczor, that made me laugh and laugh! :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “General Questions”