Metal Parts (For Tamiya), Are They Worth It?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
auto_loader
Recruit

Metal Parts (For Tamiya), Are They Worth It?

Post by auto_loader »

Hi new to the forum.
So i'm starting to build both the Tamiya Leopard 2 and Abrams kits. One of MANY questions I have is are all these metal upgrade parts I see necessary / recommended? Especially with Tamiya stuff, I hear their quality is pretty good.

Can anyone with experience running either of these kits say they've had or seen someone have parts breakages with stock plastic suspension arms, differential drive gears, drive sprocket bearings, etc...?

These will probably just be casual drivers, I did buy the battle system for both but as of right now not involved in a club or anything.

Thanks!
Jason
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Metal Parts (For Tamiya), Are They Worth It?

Post by jarndice »

Fitting Metal parts to replace plastic ones can especially with regard to the vehicles Suspension produce the law of diminishing returns, For instance you fit metal tracks to anotherwise all plastic system and they will tear the whole lot out, The same with metal wheels and sprockets but it gets a lot worse if you are working on a Heng Long Tank with Nylon or Pot Metal Gearboxes because they are not going to last very long once you fit a metal suspension system,It really is a case of all or nothing,
Tamiya are famous for the high quality of their products and it is doubtful that much advantage will be gained fitting or replacing non Tamiya metal items to structural or suspension parts.
If Tamiya have a metal option then it will probably enhance the vehicle but try to see the vehicle both with and without the modification before parting with your hard earned.
Obviously things like metal tow ropes and other metal ancillaries such as hatches will be just fine just use a bit of common sense on what metal parts will enhance the Tank and what will potentially spoil it.
Researching your particular Tank will certainly help as aftermarket detail can help to change a variant into another variant. The M4 Sherman and the Panzer 4 being good examples.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello, and then I'm not sure whether the metal parts fit easily on Tamiya? apart from as Jarndice says, apart from the lots of edges, possible encountering problems? and it all also depends on how you want to use your tank, hobby, or outdoor use with crossings, in dirt, stones etc.
auto_loader
Recruit

Post by auto_loader »

Thanks for the advice. Makes a lot of sense. I definitely want to stick with stock parts for now if i can. There will be plenty more to buy as the build progresses im sure.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:( I meant, the parts other than Tamiya, sorry but I use google translate, and don't always reproduce exactly what I want? on the other hand, it is perhaps possible to install bearings on all the wheels? more knowledgeable members, you will certainly indicate it. On the other hand, if you do not have a radio? I advise you to invest in an excellent radio, minimum 8 channels, see this article very well done by a member of this forum :thumbup:

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... /my-radio/
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hi, auto-loader! I think Jarndice's advice of Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:25 am is quite good. And Jofaur's advice to first invest in a good transmitter is spot on! If your tanks "will probably just be casual drivers," then go for the transmitter first. Later if you find that you are running tanks outdoors and in rougher conditions, you can start beefing up the motors, suspensions, tracks, and electronics. If, on the other hand, your tanks do remain as "casual drivers," you can have fun creating accurate details, great paint jobs and weathering. I will never be half as good at electronics, nor running upgrades, nor paint and weathering as so many of the wizards here on RCTW, but I still have a lot of fun!
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

hi there keep the tamiya tracks on the leo they are good and run smooth i did have an arm snap on my leo but thats what happens when running full speed outside so got metal ones then brought metal tracks impact make they were terrible heavy run really bad and chewed the gears so replaced with metal gears got rid of metal tracks and now runs and turns like an F1 car hope this helps
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

auto_loader wrote:Hi new to the forum.
So i'm starting to build both the Tamiya Leopard 2 and Abrams kits. One of MANY questions I have is are all these metal upgrade parts I see necessary / recommended? Especially with Tamiya stuff, I hear their quality is pretty good.

Can anyone with experience running either of these kits say they've had or seen someone have parts breakages with stock plastic suspension arms, differential drive gears, drive sprocket bearings, etc...?

These will probably just be casual drivers, I did buy the battle system for both but as of right now not involved in a club or anything.

Thanks!
Jason
Abrams doesn't really need anything.

The Leo really benefits from upgraded idler adjusters (Henntec, impact, afvmodellbau etc etc).

Some people have issue with the suspension arms snapping. Don't overtighten them and they'll last well. I'd suggest only upgrading when they fail. If yours isn't doing lots of hard driving it might never break one.
auto_loader
Recruit

Post by auto_loader »

Thanks all! I'll hold off on metal parts for now.
I am planning to either reinforce the Leo turret or modify so the battery is in the hull. I saw where there have been problems with the turret sagging.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Tbh the turret only sags if you leave the battery in it all the time!

Remove when not in use and when charging.

The suspension arms and possibly the idler upgrade in metal are worthwhile for the Leopard.

King Tiger requires imo an idler upgrade at minimum. Tracks are also a bit weak.

Return to “General Questions”