Rear mud flaps

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Topper
Corporal

Rear mud flaps

Post by Topper »

Hello
Is there a secure way to attach the mud flaps?
Thanks in advance
Frank
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Rear mud flaps

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

On what, Frank?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

On a Tiger 1.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It helps to specify the model, and make, since quite a few people looking in won't have the foggiest idea of what you're working on, :) That way, you could miss some useful advice. Do you mean the rear mud guards?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Mine doesn’t have any but if it did I would use two sided automotive sticky tape. Brass bolts and nuts or super glue would probably snap off if you drive the piss out of her like I do. Maybe making a hinge type device would be an option but that’s above my pay grade.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

I give up.

Had the taigen plastic ones then got some mato metal ones and metal holders. Then put a small strip of balsa wood under the hinge. All these made them fall off less often. But in the end they have been left off.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

On my Jagdtiger I changed plastic one to workable Mato which cost about 12 EUR. Now they don't fly off when climbing a hill, just hinge ;)
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you can find some suitable thin rubber sheet then my old favourite, Shoe Goo, will bond anything to anything, even end on.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

43rdRecceReg wrote:It helps to specify the model, and make, since quite a few people looking in won't have the foggiest idea of what you're working on, :) That way, you could miss some useful advice. Do you mean the rear mud guards?

Sorry
Taigen Tiger 1 with Mato metal rear mud guards and Mato metal hinges but they keep falling off.
Thanks for all thr replies.
Frank
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Topper wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:It helps to specify the model, and make, since quite a few people looking in won't have the foggiest idea of what you're working on, :) That way, you could miss some useful advice. Do you mean the rear mud guards?

Sorry
Taigen Tiger 1 with Mato metal rear mud guards and Mato metal hinges but they keep falling off.
Thanks for all thr replies.
Frank
I use concealed brass doll's house hinges with tiny screws, generally. Even the nylon hinges used for model aircraft flaps and ailerons can be used (they're hardy- and have to be). One part would be bonded to the back of the flap, and the other bonded (so it's not visible) to the hull. A suitable strong adhesive- one I use for metal/resin/abs fusions is JB Weld (metal) epoxy. A combination of tiny self-tapping screws (again for a Doll's house or miniature model) and epoxy will hold any pivoting surface in place.
Cromwell storage bin hinges
Cromwell storage bin hinges
Here's where I used small doll's house hinges to bond the storage bin lid to the hull of the tank. The lid opens nicely, but underneath both sides of the hinge are fixed with a layer of JB Weld and spectacle self-tappers (bought in a pack of hundreds cheaply, on Ebay). So- it's a reassuringly secure fitting. All it needs now is some Olive Drab SCC15 touchup. :D
Here's a great site for all things miniature (hinges, bolts, nuts- all manner of fastenings).
https://prime-miniatures.co.uk
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Questions”