1/16 scale Decals for British Armoured Reconnaissance Tanks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

1/16 scale Decals for British Armoured Reconnaissance Tanks

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've looked at Peddinghaus, and only found decals for Royal Marine Cromwells- that's great if you're planning on building a Cromwell/Centaur: ;)
https://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/1-16- ... -1944.html
The superb decal sheets supplied by Dean, with his highly-rated Sherman Firefly kit, can be used for WW2 British armoured divisions and regiments- but not for armoured reconnaissance regiments- as the Tacsigns (Tactical signs/unit markers) are different.
Click on these images to ENLARGE them.
Recce Regiments used these:
WW2 British Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment markings
WW2 British Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment markings
The Squadron Tacsigns are white, whereas armoured brigade units used red, yellow and blue and green
WW2 British Armoured Brigade unit markings
WW2 British Armoured Brigade unit markings
Incidentally, although I've posted the link before, there's a free pdf download of WW2 British armoured division markings available here:
https://harryleith.files.wordpress.com/ ... ngs_v1.pdf
Can anyone suggest any other possible sources of decals in 1/16 scale I could try?
So far, I've given my Comet and Firefly tanks suitable unit markings, thanks to Dean's decal sheets; but I'd really like to give the Cromwell a Recce unit identity.
I suppose I could paint the small frontal square green/blue and then superimpose white '45' numerals on it, as I have the numerals- but, I'd far rather use a transfer.
I know I've asked this before, but has anyone an idea of how to create one's own decals on water-slide paper, or an alternative print medium? All suggestions (apart from rude ones) welcome :thumbup: Rude too, if it's funny. :lolno:

Here's a Cromwell with the correct "45" (green over blue) Recce Regiment symbol, although the yellow circle should be white. If I have to paint the square's 'green over blue' background, has anyone an idea what those colours might be?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: 1/16 scale Decals for British Armoured Reconnaissance Ta

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I did find a number custom decal videos on Youtube. This is the first that looked useful, but if anyone knows the best (most pertinent) Youtube video out there on creating decals for cars and tanks, please point it out. :thumbup:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Until I discovered Stencils care of Rad I used to print my own decals using Decal Paper and an Epson Stylus Dot Matrix Printer, It really is easy but Stencils are better in my opinion.The biggest problem being the inability of the printer to make decals in White.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Until I discovered Stencils care of Rad I used to print my own decals using Decal Paper and an Epson Stylus Dot Matrix Printer, It really is easy but Stencils are better in my opinion.The biggest problem being the inability of the printer to make decals in White.
Thanks, Shaun. Perhaps I'll have a go at producing my own stencil. :think: As for the decal option, I have a pretty decent Canon inkjet printer, but the art of making decent decals is not nearly as straightforward as one would hope- according to some of the reviews I've read of related products (A4 decal sheets etc.,), and techniques.
I wince slightly at the mention of the now stencil demigod, Rad, as I can't find the stencils he sent me for my Finnish (Tamiya) Panzer IV Ausf J project. :shh: :shifty:
I've even tried dowsing rods to find them, but they've gone to the great 1/16 beyond. :thumbdown: :/

Return to “General Questions”