Tiger 1 gearbox

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Topper
Corporal

Tiger 1 gearbox

Post by Topper »

Hello
I do not know the correct names but the gearbox shaft that goes through the hull to the track drive sprocket is just spinning and not turning the gears in the gearbox, Is this something I can fix?
Thanks in advance
Frank
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Tiger 1 gearbox

Post by General Jumbo01 »

In short it means that a shaft and a wheel are no longer bound together but slipping. It could be any shaft in the is drive chain and any 'wheel', be it a gear or the sprocket. The first thing you need to do is open the tank body and identify which wheel is slipping on what shaft and let us know. We can then chat about a fix.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

General Jumbo01 wrote:In short it means that a shaft and a wheel are no longer bound together but slipping. It could be any shaft in the is drive chain and any 'wheel', be it a gear or the sprocket. The first thing you need to do is open the tank body and identify which wheel is slipping on what shaft and let us know. We can then chat about a fix.

Thanks for your reply.
The sprocket is spinning, the gearbox is fine
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Topper wrote:Hello
I do not know the correct names but the gearbox shaft that goes through the hull to the track drive sprocket is just spinning and not turning the gears in the gearbox, Is this something I can fix?
Thanks in advance
Frank
That is the "Gearbox Output Shaft".
Depending on what has failed it may well be repairable but considering the complexity of 1/16 scale gearboxes the price of replacements is not unreasonable.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01

If the sprocket is turning but the shaft it is turning on doesn't then you need to remove the sprocket and inspect it's seating to see why it is not keying together properly. It could be the shaft or the sprocket mating faces that are worn. Worse case, you'll need to replace the sprocket or the gearbox. If you are good at repairs you may be able to bond the two together though the repair will always remain a weak point.

Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

I put it back together, the tank drives but will not steer to the left
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

This would be a very opportune time to replace your gears boxes with the Heng Long dual current unit. One of the best upgrades I’ve ever made. Worth it! Very quiet and smooth as silk. Just throwing that out there for consideration.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

By the sound of it looks like the small gear on the output shaft has snapped the pin that holds it in place. Take the box apart and insert a nail in the place of the pin that’s broken. As good as new. With zero cost.
Or spend some dough to get the latest Taigen boxes with covers over gears. Those are very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

RenoirLV wrote:By the sound of it looks like the small gear on the output shaft has snapped the pin that holds it in place. Take the box apart and insert a nail in the place of the pin that’s broken. As good as new. With zero cost.
Or spend some dough to get the latest Taigen boxes with covers over gears. Those are very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello
A really big thank you for your help!!!
I took the gearbox apart and as you said the pin had indeed snapped, it took me an hour to find the hole in the shaft so I could push the remains of the pin out and replace with a nail.
Thank you everyone for all the replies and help!!!!!!!
Frank
General Jumbo01

Well done Ren', class act there. That's another bloody Tiger operational

Return to “General Questions”