Taigen to Tamiya

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Taigen to Tamiya

Post by Afrikakorps »

Hi everyone, just wanted to throw the question out there, has anyone connected a Taigen style recoil with elevation to Tamiya electronics?

Thanks Afrikakorps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Taigen to Tamiya

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello,

This is not a comprehensive answer but just letting you know in case a more thorough answer does not appear before you get the urge to pull the pin and try it anyway :D

I remember hearing somewhere from someone ( vague I know :/ ) that tamiya electronics DO NOT like to play with other electronic components and can cause damage to the unit that may not be fixable :thumbdown: I have not tried it this way around myself but I have used the tamiya elevation, rotation and recoil units with an ibu2 with no averse effects to their performance, I hope someone may come along with a more clearer answer for you but until then I would hold onto your horses :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

The recoil circuit on the MFU is not designed to pull back a spring, and the motor on the Tamiya recoil motor appears to be smaller than the 130's on the Taigen. The recoil circuit is the fragile part of an otherwise robust design, that will blow if there is any kind of resistance to the smooth movement of the barrel. I'm sure somebody will come on here and claim they have done it, and others will point out that there used to be a mod for the Tamiya recoils that added the 'spring back' action, but MFU's are expensive and I don't know if Tamiya will repair them anymore.

Personally I really would not recommend it.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Tiger6 wrote:The recoil circuit on the MFU is not designed to pull back a spring, and the motor on the Tamiya recoil motor appears to be smaller than the 130's on the Taigen. The recoil circuit is the fragile part of an otherwise robust design, that will blow if there is any kind of resistance to the smooth movement of the barrel. I'm sure somebody will come on here and claim they have done it, and others will point out that there used to be a mod for the Tamiya recoils that added the 'spring back' action, but MFU's are expensive and I don't know if Tamiya will repair them anymore.

Personally I really would not recommend it.
Impact and wecohe had a retrofit system which removed a portion of the teeth on the gear in the recoil and added a spring for snap back slower return.

I had one of these jam and it took out a recoil circuit on one of my mfus, in the days where they were like gold dust. So I would echo caution!

I think you'd be better using an rcta sirveo on a y lead and converting your recoil to a servo. If that's the sort of recoil action you're after.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) Hello,
I would also say caution, before transforming the MFU into a Barbecue, and given the price that it costs ... I saw on another forum, the modification of the wiring to adapt an Asiatam system? but never try the experience :thumbdown:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

also exists this, see middle of page !!! but I think that as indicated above, an RCTA module will do the same job?
http://rctankhobby.com/html/products.html
there is also the solution with this HL or Taigen module? for a servo on an RX 18, a friend did it on his Sherman, see attached photo, but no explanations?
7CBB2AF8-BB82-413D-A254-09AB5A1EA762.jpeg

Return to “General Questions”