An Oddball Question

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

An Oddball Question

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Seemed like a simple thing until it wasn't. My efforts to find the right screw to attach the lower chassis to the upper hull of the Heng Long Panzer IV has met with surprising difficulty at the hardware stores. Can some one post a picture of just what this screw should look like...and maybe a hint at the measurements? I'm almost embarrassed to ask. Let me correct that, I am embarrassed to ask!

Thanks chaps,

Ralph
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: An Oddball Question

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I don't have that particular model but if you remove the screw opposite the one you need to replace and take it to a good hardware shop they should be able to match it for you.

The likes of B&Q staff may not be able to help you but you may be able to match the one you removed with one in a pack.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Hello General J. A great idea, but I haven't a single bottom screw to match it with. My face is getting redder by the minute!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A good tip from GJ.
These screws are self-tappers, normally- or at least the type that cuts a thread. From my experience, HL uses the same type in most models.

These are all screw types used in HL tanks. The one with the arrow is probably like the one you need. I imagine Forgebear keeps them. Or, perhaps forage one from a section of the tank that's not structural.
HL screws
HL screws
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

SCHWEREPANZER wrote:Hello General J. A great idea, but I haven't a single bottom screw to match it with. My face is getting redder by the minute!
You mean they've all disappeared! On some models HL use shorter screws on the nose and/or the tail. You could try Andrew at Haya. He imports HengLong and should have both the knowledge and stock of the screws you need. Worth a try.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Thanks 43 and General J. Quite an array of screws used by our friends at H-L. Many thanks for the pic. It'll serve as a good lead. But, just to be sure, a message was sent to Andrew at Haya though I'd hope to be able to acquire the right pieces (or something similar that would work) a little closer than the Transatlantic operation implied with the message. :crazy:

Thanks chaps,

Ralph
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Any Steel screw that fits the front and rear mounting pillars and will pass through a countersunk Neo-Dymion magnet X 8 and you will never have to use screws to join your tank ever again.
Last edited by jarndice on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Thanks for that Col. J. A thought.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You will need "8" 10mm X 5mm countersunk Neodymium magnets, 4 magnets "South" and 4 magnets "North" and "8" steel screws,
If your Tank has a metal lip at the front that retains the body to the hull then everything is halved,
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Thanks gentlemen for your wise counsel. The neodymium magnet solution would work, but Andrew at Haya, who I contacted after swallowing my pride and asking the mundane question, showed me the traditional attachment means and method.
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Is this great or what? Who'd have thought attaching two halves of plastic would require such a Transatlantic pageant.

Thanks Gents!!

Ralph

Return to “General Questions”