Motorising a Trumpeter Panther G - Help please

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Snowwolflair
Private

Motorising a Trumpeter Panther G - Help please

Post by Snowwolflair »

I am looking for any information about converting the 1/16 Trumpeter Panther G models to R/C. Has anyone done it?

The possibilities are to either use a RTR chassis with the top half being the kit, or my preference to upgrade the tub with metal parts.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Motorising a Trumpeter Panther G - Help please

Post by Kaczor »

Buying lower hull is a way to go. IMHO modification of plastic kit to be somewhat relaible is not worth it. I recommend Taigen's lower hull, wheels and tracks
https://www.rctank.de/PANTHER-G_5
Snowwolflair
Private

Post by Snowwolflair »

That looks good especially as the structure is metal but the external is plastic and I can rework it to improve the detail.

I have picked up a Late kit for half price and apart from the hull and exterior detail for a working model the internals will make excellent loads for my lorries, particularly the Maybach and gearbox.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I've converted Trumpeter's T-34/76, and like Kaczor suggested I used the Taigen lower hull. The Trumpeter kits are designed for static display, they're made of pretty thin and flimsy styrene. You'd need to do some serious engineering to make an insert to strengthen the lower, and you wouldn't really be gaining much in terms of detail. You'd be better off touching up the Taigen lower with parts from the Trumpeter kit instead.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Same here. I've also done a SU-100 and that top is thicker than the T34 but, either way, the Taigen hull is the way to go. You can also fit Taigens quick release for convenience.

You may want to consider buying the complete tank as the turret electrics and mechanisms can be transferred. However, you will be left with a lot of spare body parts! My spare engine and gearboxes are roped down on the back of a Russian support truck.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Personally, I think it would be a waste of a nice static kit just to get an upper hull outer shell when there are better alternatives on the market for RC purposes.
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

lmcq11 wrote:Personally, I think it would be a waste of a nice static kit just to get an upper hull outer shell when there are better alternatives on the market for RC purposes.
If it have full interior, a mini diorama with crane lifting turret or motor would be great ;)
Snowwolflair
Private

Post by Snowwolflair »

lmcq11 wrote:Personally, I think it would be a waste of a nice static kit just to get an upper hull outer shell when there are better alternatives on the market for RC purposes.

It is a question of price point verses accuracy and detail.

My experience of the RTR models is that whilst they are rugged they are generally not a good basis for a detail model, and I want functionality and good detail.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Stug III offerings on their way as the price point is reasonable for conversion.

For the Panther G taking the best previous offering for a fine scale model as the Tamiya model, now somewhat out of date with new historical research, if I can recreate the same quality of functional model for a lower price I will be very happy.
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Snowwolflair wrote:
lmcq11 wrote:I'm particularly looking forward to the Stug III offerings on their way as the price point is reasonable for conversion.
New StuG looks great. Heng Long upper hull (used also on Taigen Stug III) is lacking in details.
BUT! I don't see the point in i.e. making from scratch torsion bar suspension, track tensioner etc. when we have good Taigen Pz III chassis.

Take into account that in models you admire details up close only when it is on a shelf. The whole point of RC models is their mobility and durability. The converted plastic static model will not provide this.
tankme

Post by tankme »

For the most part the Trumpeter lower hulls are thin. I can speak of the T-34 and SU-100 hulls are thin. The Abrams and T-72 hulls are actually quite thick and come with turret rotation gears that screw to to the turret. The gear pitch is compatible with HL turret rotation units. They look like they were intended to be R/C eventually as there is also a speaker mount and an outline of a battery cover on the bottom of the hull. I can't speak of the German offerings as I don't own any of those.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Questions”