Tamiya M26 Pershing Kit - Missing Electronics

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
sstudley
Recruit

Tamiya M26 Pershing Kit - Missing Electronics

Post by sstudley »

Hello,
I recently bought an incomplete Tamiya 1/16 M26 Pershing Full Option RC kit. It appears to be missing the DMD T-06, MF-03 and speaker. Possibly some other parts as well, but I'm not sure. What recommendations do others have with regard to electronics? Who makes the best, should I seek out a Tamiya DMD + MF package to keep it stock or should I look to upgrade with something better?

Kind regards,
Steve
B_Man
Corporal

Re: Tamiya M26 Pershing Kit - Missing Electronics

Post by B_Man »

Everyone here will have their favorites and a lot will depend on your budget but if it were me I would install an ElMod. You can get adapters to connect to the stock Tamiya rotation and elevation units or you could just replace them with more robust third party options or even modify them or build your own using servos. Some will disagree but I personally think the Tamiya electronics are well past their prime and there are many better options out there. That said, the kits themselves are top notch.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Original DMD + MF + speaker cost about 300-400 EUR. For that price you will buy Elmod Pro, good receiver, transmitter and big speaker.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

B_Man wrote:Everyone here will have their favorites and a lot will depend on your budget but if it were me I would install an ElMod. You can get adapters to connect to the stock Tamiya rotation and elevation units or you could just replace them with more robust third party options or even modify them or build your own using servos. Some will disagree but I personally think the Tamiya electronics are well past their prime and there are many better options out there. That said, the kits themselves are top notch.
This says all you need to know and would certainly be the route I would take and it would be cheaper than Tamiya's fit and far more up to date.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

I'm in a similar position with a Tamiya Tiger 1.
This seems to be the go to supplier here in England
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1 ... ducts.html

Apparently very good although seems to be on holiday as I sent him a message on there some days ago and as yet have no reply.
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

Thank you all, this is exactly the kind of guidance I was hoping for, from this forum. I'm a little miffed at why finding a US provider for the Elmod Fusion Pro is a little difficult. Doesn't matter, I'll order it through an international provider just as readily. I ordered two sets of metal bearings, one set https://www.ebay.com/itm/142892707651 6x3x2 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/142892710581 8x4x3. I'm also considering buying a nicer transmitter unit, like a Spektrum DX6 for this tank. I'd like to set this build up with muzzle flash and smoke, we shall see about that. I always start out with big ideas... Again, thank you all for the suggestions.

Steve
jarndice wrote:
B_Man wrote:Everyone here will have their favorites and a lot will depend on your budget but if it were me I would install an ElMod. You can get adapters to connect to the stock Tamiya rotation and elevation units or you could just replace them with more robust third party options or even modify them or build your own using servos. Some will disagree but I personally think the Tamiya electronics are well past their prime and there are many better options out there. That said, the kits themselves are top notch.
This says all you need to know and would certainly be the route I would take and it would be cheaper than Tamiya's fit and far more up to date.
tankme

Post by tankme »

I would wait to buy a transmitter until you know which board you are going with. Some of the new boards are S-Bus and can use a lot more than 6 channels with cheaper transmitters than Spektrum.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

That's good advice, although I have made up my mind on which control board I'm getting. I'm going with the Elmod Fusion Pro. Thanks for the advice!
tankme wrote:I would wait to buy a transmitter until you know which board you are going with. Some of the new boards are S-Bus and can use a lot more than 6 channels with cheaper transmitters than Spektrum.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello, :D for info, I suggest you read this excellent post (links attached) from a member of this forum, explanations, advice, etc .... :thumbup:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... /my-radio/
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/2020/06/25/radios/
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

well, I don't know if posting a second question to a single thread is a violation of proper forum etiquette, so please feel free to say so if it is. I started my inventory of the incomplete Tamiya M26 kit yesterday afternoon and so far have discovered that in addition to the electronics, I am missing the tracks and the fiber optic cable. Two biggies, to my thinking. I see on eBay "Tamiya" tracks are about $150.00 with shipping and I couldn't find anything for the fiber optic cable. The AAF Tank Museum Online Store wasn't any help either. They have no tracks in stock and I didn't find anything for the fiber optic, at least not anything under "Pershing". I will look again and see if they have any fiber optic as it likely wouldn't matter if it came from a different kit. So, what I thought was a "good deal" has rapidly deteriorated into a money pit. Nevertheless the Tamiya Pershing build will commence with pictures, video and narrative certain to entertain all who choose to follow along! ;)
As always, your thoughts, be they criticism, suggestion or encouragement are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Steve

Return to “General Questions”