Regiment Identification

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Regiment Identification

Post by MikeHamilton »

Maybe I’ve posted this in the wrong section. Hopefully not.
I’ve just got a quick question about King Tiger regiment identification.
I understand the tank turret numbering system, but were there any, for want of a better phrase any regimental / battalion identification badges painted on the hull (or elsewhere)? If so, could anyone post any links or resources please?

Thank you.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Regiment Identification

Post by Jofaur86 »

Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

HengRong
Recruit

Post by HengRong »

Hi Mike,

Regimental and or divisional insignia on King Tigers was very rare. Only two divisions come to mind when discussing this, s.Pz.Abt.505 and s.SS.Pz.501.

When receiving their early King Tigers the 505th removed a large section of zimmerit from the turret sides as to paint their elaborate charging knight insignia on. Insignia this large on German AFV's was very rare and even more so as all there tanks received it. See here...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NJ9i1M2W4Lk/V ... 2Btank.jpg

The other, s.SS.Pz.Abt.501 had insignia painted on many but not all of their KT's that took part in the Ardennes offensive. The insignia is of crossed keys above oakleaves in a SS shield. It was small, and painted on the outside of the front MG and also repeated on the rear plate, inside of the jack block. See here front plate, small square section of zimmerit has been removed so it can be painted on...
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-cont ... ank_30.jpg

Most King Tigers are identifiable by the style and colour's of their turret numbers as each unit had their own unique way of painting these.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, Brendon.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thanks for all the info chaps. Much appreciated. At least I’ve saved myself some possibly fiddly painting.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Another approach, Mike, might be to see what unit decals are actually available. I'm guessing one reason for your query would be to find the most authentic way of marking your model up. Well, Peddinghaus, in Germany, certainly know their stuff. All you have to do is use the 'search' feature here to find KT units, and their decals/identifiers. Their decals are among the best you'll find, and you can often buy them through eBay UK as well. :thumbup:
https://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/1-16- ... hicles-52/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Mike I asked Rad if he could sort out unit/regiment/division identifiers for me and as always he came up trumps in the form of stencils,
Mind blowing detail. How willing our hero would be to repeat the exercise I cannot say but if you can bribe him to make up another set for you then I would urge you to go stencil. after all that was how the identifiers were originally applied.
www.radindustries.wordpress.com/
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”