1/16 Tiger 1. Heng Long guts into Tamiya?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Rob1970
Corporal

Re: 1/16 Tiger 1. Heng Long guts into Tamiya?

Post by Rob1970 »

Well, I have no experience in making a Tamiya tank of any kind work with Heng Long gear (I might have to figure that out in the future tho...oooh teaser!) but it depends on the length of the drive axle you need, I guess? I know the HL Tiger and Panzer IV have a gearbox with a "49mm" axle, and the Leopard 2A6 (for example) has a gearbox with a "59mm" axle.

Hence; if you think HL Tiger gear would work on the Tamiya Tiger, then the Panzer IV gear would work...

Now, the drive and idler sprocket of the Tiger and Panzer IV are -very- different. But if you just want the internal gear and stuff, they would work.
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

All Heng Long and Taigen gearboxes rated for the Panzer 4 are rated for the Tiger 1.
Of course as Rob1970 says they will require different Sprockets and running gear.
I would suggest you avoid the Pot Metal and the Nylon Heng Long Gearboxes.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

With enough planning (or in my case trial and error) and money, you can make any gear work in any tank. I would love to replace all my Tamiya rotation units with Heng Long ones, but for now they are working so I'm leaving them as-is.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

Panzer IV it is, every penny counts. Thanks volk.
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

Just scored a new HL 6.0 Tiger 1 for less than £140. This is happening volk.

Return to “General Questions”