Wooden bridge

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Nasher13
Recruit

Wooden bridge

Post by Nasher13 »

Hi all any one .I Have built a wooden bridge for my Sherman tank toro to go over and find that it slips and won’t proceed,I thought of adding wooden strip to it for better grip and it is outside,but has anyone got any ideas how to fix this problem thanks Nash
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Wooden bridge

Post by Kaczor »

What is the slope of the driveway? Like the original, the Sherman model has problems above 30 degrees of slope.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Well, I think Kaczor already mentioned the solution, probably your ramp is too steep.

But I am also a bit curious how your bridge looks, is it possible to upload a picture of it?
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

;) indeed, am even opinion! slope too steep? wood too smooth? tank not heavy enough? plastic or metal tracks? yes a photo would be great, for opinion
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

All very valid points. Easiest solution could be to fit a strip of rubber mat where the tracks slip. I had a similar problem with the ramps on my transporter trailers and a strip of sticky backed thin dense foam sorted the problem. Just add grip.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) also the "model railroad" method to make the ballast, a mixture of wood glue and water, applied with a brush, and sprinkle with fine sand, there are also building materials merchants, tar strips for Roofing, which should also do the trick
776FD495-73F6-41D7-A8F2-52FDE72DBF7E.jpeg
776FD495-73F6-41D7-A8F2-52FDE72DBF7E.jpeg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Our bridge have 15 deg slope and still some models had problems with driving up. We use wood glue mixed with sand to make more grip. Photo before:
Attachments
IMG_20190629_192835-1738x977.jpg
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Plenty mentioned it before, but sand mixed with glue or paint, roofing felt, or anti slip rubber mat. My son and I made a little bridge last week and I was expecting to have to put something on it for grip, but the plastic tracked Panzer III and Bulldog both go over with ease.

tankme

Post by tankme »

Not necessarily a commentary on any specific bridge, but why is it that most folks only make bridges wide enough for one tank? I mean aren't most bridges at least two lanes? I know there are smaller bridges that are one lane in smaller towns, but I would assume those bridges probably wouldn't support the massive weight of a tank.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

tankme wrote:Not necessarily a commentary on any specific bridge, but why is it that most folks only make bridges wide enough for one tank? I mean aren't most bridges at least two lanes? I know there are smaller bridges that are one lane in smaller towns, but I would assume those bridges probably wouldn't support the massive weight of a tank.
If you are talking about ww2, then no. Europe has just left the horse and cart era, and there wasn't enough traffic to justify building double width bridges.

Return to “General Questions”