Lipo

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Nasher13
Recruit

Lipo

Post by Nasher13 »

Hi am new to Rc tank ,is it easy to replace normal 7.2v nmh to a lipo,and do you have to change handset or anything else for this to be done
I have a toro Sherman at the moment which standard 2.4 Gh handset thanks Nash
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Lipo

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) as long as the voltage (volts) is the same? Yes, except that it all depends on the type of electronics in your tank? indeed for some turntables, it is well explained, that lipos are not recommended? or even excluded. It is also good to know that lipos have a particularity, namely? that they must not under penalty of destruction, drop below a certain voltage (3.5 V of memory) and therefore if your board is not equipped with an automatic cut-off system, as some are today , you run the risk of having an HS battery, There are, however, to compensate for this, small modules that allow you to indicate when the battery has arrived, at the end, and must be recharged. See attached photo
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050015 ... lsrc=aw.ds
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

For infos,battery Lipo :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=30089
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

In my experience Torro (also the Taigen brand) recommends not using LiPo batteries. I understand the advantages of LiPo batteries, especially (but not only) for weight savings. But in a tank, weight is often an advantage. I am somewhat of an exception in my choice, but for the safety advantage, for weight, and for ease of charging and maintenance, I use 2400, 3500, and even 5000 mAH NiMH batteries in my (many) Torro/Taigen tanks.

Torro sells premium level Taigen tanks. Torro and other sellers of Taigen tanks have some versions with smoking barrels; however, the timing of the smoke and recoil is off. If you only intend to run your tank with the little ones, an unmodified Torro/Taigen will do quite well given reasonable care. The Sherman will give you a chance to become familiar with the characteristics of RC tanks. Then given your experience at RC generally, you may want to try another, and another, and another. . .
tankme

Post by tankme »

I think part of the reason Torro/Taigen doesn't recommend LiPO is because they don't have a low voltage cutoff for safety on their controllers. You can damage a LiPO without a cutoff.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That would explain it well, Tankme. Thanks!
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tankme wrote:I think part of the reason Torro/Taigen doesn't recommend LiPO is because they don't have a low voltage cutoff for safety on their controllers. You can damage a LiPO without a cutoff.
That is the only reason. Most sales are for children and lipo batteries need care when in use, charging and storage, and obviously children are not prepared for that.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Having knackered a control board in a Taigen with a Lion (7.4V) I'd stick with the NiMh (7.2V) in those. HL seem to be fine (so far) with Lion and Lipo.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When LiPos started to become popular fits in 1/16 Armour there were the first reports that they were potentially a cause of damage to control boards, That was when I read on this Forum that one of our Canadian members had tried out a weaning system for new control boards initially using a brand new CLARK TK20, First they started the board with a NiMh and after running the tank for a period of time then it was connected to a LiPo and all was well,
Logic says to my simple mind that whatever source the electrical input to a control board comes from as long as it meets the designed input parameters it should work fine but in the real world it just is not so.
Taigen says that using LiPos in their Tanks will invalidate the guarantee,
I have a number of Panzer 4s and there is very little space internally especially with Heng Long hulls even after removing the battery box which makes the Heng Long and Taigen NiMh batteries a pain because they are so big which is why I started using LiPos in all my Tanks and I have never had any problems and that is with Elmod, IBU2, Clark, ASP, as well as Heng Long and Taigen/Torro control boards and it should be noted that all the 1/16, 1/12, 1/10 trucks that are coming from China have LiPos not NiMhs.
What cannot be said often enough is that you must take sensible precautions with LiPos when storing and Charging them.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

well, I was looking at lipo's actually, but just found 7.2 nimh for less than 3 euro each, so i ordered 5 of them :D
it is a bit unclear if it is 3000mah, 2800mah or 2400mah but for that kind of money i dont care actually
Regards,
Jaap :wave:

Return to “General Questions”