Swapping HL V7.0 MFU for V6.0

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Swapping HL V7.0 MFU for V6.0

Post by SimonCornes »

That says it all. I have an Abrams V6.0 and a Panzer IV V7.0 and I'm thinking of swapping the MFU's.

Is it a simple swap? As it stands I haven't looked inside the Abrams hull so I don't know where the MFU is. Logically it should be in the hull but I think Tamiya put theirs in the turret?

Before I start wielding the screwdriver I wouldn't mind a heads up on my idea!
Many thanks

Simon
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Swapping HL V7.0 MFU for V6.0

Post by HERMAN BIX »

H/L are always in the hull.
Be very good to know how you go as there are a lot of these mixed up units getting around !
Should be a straight out plug transfer, but would be worth checking the instructions sheets on both if possible.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Hello Simon

That's swap should be ( almost ) 1:1 work. Piece with cake IMO
Of course if you know what are you doing.
Be careful when disconnecting the leads of the drive motors so as not to confuse them. Otherwise, you will face problems with directions. Btw. There is a thread on this forum where I helped fix it ;)
On Google or YouTube you should find Abrams interior. MFU is in the lower hull btw.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

abramsky wrote:That's swap should be ( almost ) 1:1 work. Piece with cake IMO
Of course if you know what are you doing.
Be careful when disconnecting the leads of the drive motors so as not to confuse them. Otherwise, you will face problems with directions. Btw. There is a thread on this forum where I helped fix it ;)
On Google or YouTube you should find Abrams interior. MFU is in the lower hull btw.
Yes, can confirm it's one on one, but checking and comparing the channels of TK6 Vs. TK7 (or any other MFU you're dealing with) is always good practice. I'm doing something similar soon, actually taking a V7 out of a Panzer IV to put into a Leopard that is running a V5.2 at the moment, and slipping a new V6.0S into the Panzer IV. A bit more involved because it means adding the IR gubbins to the Leopard

Also, numbering your leads with the appropriate channel and LED number is a good practice to get into. I do it on all my tanks, just so I know where to plug something back should I accidentally unseat a plug of something or other. A little flag from painters tape with the number written on will do in a pinch, I use a Dymo tape label printer for mine.
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thanks guys, useful to know where to find the MFU!! Good idea about plug labelling to. In theory it should be straightforward but we all know how it works!! I have a Jagdpanther with an RX 8 in it and a brand new Stug with a 5.3! I happen to know that there will be new Stugs very soon but with V7’s instructions them. I wonder if the V8 will be a rebadged V6 when HL get around to it?!!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I hope the V8 will be a 6.1s with a separate sound card like Taigen do.
That would be outstanding.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I understand from Haya the v7 has only modern tank sounds, nothing for WW2 types. But yes, v6 & v7 should be a simple swap. I use paint pens to mark my cable plugs and sockets, just a small mark then all you have to do is match the colours. A photo before you dismantle is always a good idea too.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”