A couple of quick questions

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

A couple of quick questions

Post by MikeHamilton »

I’ve got a Taigen / Torro King Tiger, which I stripped down and strengthened and will be fitting the electric upgrades shortly.

The hull, deck, road wheels and sprockets have been primed in red oxide paint and has dried nicely.

I think I’m at the first stages of airbrushing the camo and have a couple of questions to ask if I may?

1). Is it easier / better to assemble the tank (without tracks) and then air brush it in its base colours, or paint the components individually and then assemble?

2) Regarding the King Tiger’s road wheels, I gather that they weren’t fitted with rubber tyres as they shredded off. What colour would you suggest for the wheel rims (if any) bearing in mind that they’ll be in contact with the tracks? I have red oxide primered the backs of the road wheels. Do I need to paint them in camo colours or what colour do you suggest or just leave them in red oxide?

Thank you.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: A couple of quick questions

Post by midlife306 »

Don’t forget, paint each road wheel in a single solid colour, that was done so that the enemy couldn’t gauge what speed they were travelling at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you are using metal wheels or apart from the tracks any other part of your Tank is metal then don't forget to use a metal primer first as the following coats won't take otherwise.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

midlife306 wrote:Don’t forget, paint each road wheel in a single solid colour, that was done so that the enemy couldn’t gauge what speed they were travelling atImageImage

Fantastic, thank you.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

jarndice wrote:If you are using metal wheels or apart from the tracks any other part of your Tank is metal then don't forget to use a metal primer first as the following coats won't take otherwise.

Metal etch primer has been used on all the metal work thus far.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

So far so good then. I prefer to remove the road wheels and spray them separately, especially given the multiple 'layers' of disks.

I also remove all the attachments, tools etc and paint them separately. That will allow you to spray the base colour and then airbrush the other camo details. Given the overhang of the turret, l removed this for painting and just rested it in place occasionally to ensure alignment of camo pattern across turret and hull.

Enjoy!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

General Jumbo01 wrote:So far so good then. I prefer to remove the road wheels and spray them separately, especially given the multiple 'layers' of disks.

I also remove all the attachments, tools etc and paint them separately. That will allow you to spray the base colour and then airbrush the other camo details. Given the overhang of the turret, l removed this for painting and just rested it in place occasionally to ensure alignment of camo pattern across turret and hull.

Enjoy!

Road wheels and attachments have all been removed.

I’ll try to have fun. I’ve not airbrushed anything larger than N Gauge stuff!!!
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

midlife306 wrote:Don’t forget, paint each road wheel in a single solid colour, that was done so that the enemy couldn’t gauge what speed they were travelling atImageImage

Although I prefer mine with the wheels done in solid colour that was not always the case so you should do some research on your vehicle before committing to that...
KT painting.jpg
KT painting.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 415 times
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

dgsselkirk wrote:

Although I prefer mine with the wheels done in solid colour that was not always the case so you should do some research on your vehicle before committing to that...
KT painting.jpg

Thanks for the info and piccie.
I’m hoping to do Eastern Front camo with a “whitewash” finish daubed on roughly, as per the real thing.
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

I suspect they would have sprayed over all the attachments as well. However for us modellers this is a bit boring and looks lazy lol

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions”