Gearboxes 101

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Re: Gearboxes 101

Post by sevoblast »

jarndice wrote:ETO Armour makes a very well engineered gearbox,
But the Problem is that while they are designed and built in the Ukraine they are sold from an American web site which makes the postal charges to the UK impossible.
All metal work of the units are made in and shipped from Russia for UK and EU sales. Postage from Moskau to UK is about $15, but the problem will be UK Customs. Motors are from Katai. I have not in almost 10 years had a failure of one of my units. Each transmission is serial numbered and all numbers are recorded hard copy as to who bought them, when and where. Guaranty is one year. I make units only for Tamiya tanks.

In the illustrated installation instructions is a rather strong warning that this is a very powerful unit and one is ill advised to get one's fingers in the tracks during use. In essence your tank will grind up pebbles, bits of wood etc, but the only damage may be to a track link, my transmissions are not affected by these actions.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

sevoblast wrote:
jarndice wrote:ETO Armour makes a very well engineered gearbox,
But the Problem is that while they are designed and built in the Ukraine they are sold from an American web site which makes the postal charges to the UK impossible.
All metal work of the units are made in and shipped from Russia for UK and EU sales. Postage from Moskau to UK is about $15, but the problem will be UK Customs. Motors are from Katai. I have not in almost 10 years had a failure of one of my units. Each transmission is serial numbered and all numbers are recorded hard copy as to who bought them, when and where. Guaranty is one year. I make units only for Tamiya Tanks.
In this particular case I am so glad to be wrong :haha: :haha:
It is very pleasing that your top quality Gearboxes are both affordable and available in the EU and the UK :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

[quote="jarndice In this particular case I am so glad to be wrong :haha: :haha:
It is very pleasing that your top quality Gearboxes are both affordable and available in the EU and the UK :thumbup:[/quote]

Not a problem, my friend. One should be advised that while Russian Post is vastly proficient in mail and parcel deliveries, the slowdown will be from Moskau to UK and EU. It's worse to US, parcels for TU deliveries to my warehouse in US take on average 10 weeks. A very great deal of mail and parcels go 'space available' on commercial airliners, and since we are in the midst of a rather virulent plague, commercial aircraft are not as plentiful as a year and more ago.
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Hi all so I took the advice and got the heng long dual current gearboxes. They are pretty substantial, unfortunately no instructions and I can't find a wiring diagram online. As I understand it there's one motor for movement and one for steering.

I am using an ibu2u board. Does anyone know how I wire these up. They have bullet connectors, I am fine with soldering some plug connectors on. As I am used to having a left and right motor socket, I dont know what to connect what to on the board in this case. Any be able to help?Image

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I have no experience with your board but I believe with my Elmod I connected the drive motor to the Motor1 +and - and the steering motor to Motor2 + and - connectors. Then with my computer I selected the appropriate motor type in the driving parameters drop down menu. Sitting at my desk at work right now and going from memory, such as it is. Sorry if this is no help to you.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

The IBU can control a DKLM gearbox, which is the same as the HL
Take a look at the IBU manual:
http://www.ibu-electronics.com/doc/IBU2 ... h_V2-3.pdf
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Jimster wrote:I have no experience with your board but I believe with my Elmod I connected the drive motor to the Motor1 +and - and the steering motor to Motor2 + and - connectors. Then with my computer I selected the appropriate motor type in the driving parameters drop down menu. Sitting at my desk at work right now and going from memory, such as it is. Sorry if this is no help to you.
All info is good info! Many thanks

Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

jhamm wrote:The IBU can control a DKLM gearbox, which is the same as the HL
Take a look at the IBU manual:
http://www.ibu-electronics.com/doc/IBU2 ... h_V2-3.pdf
Perfect!! Thanks, will have a good read now.

Return to “General Questions”