Need Advice/ Early Tiger Starter Handle

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Need Advice/ Early Tiger Starter Handle

Post by Jimster »

You’re so right, Eric. I treat her rough and drive her hard. Shame on me. She’s pretty much a shelf queen that’s been called to active duty. However I want others to see that it’s possibly to treat a shelf queen tank like it’s a $10 wh#+e. I’ve spent tons of cash and hours of work on this to have a spot on initial production Tiger1 but I still want to drive it like a stolen car without pieces falling off at every bump in the road.
And a special shout out goes to jarndice for helping me with every tiny detail that makes this (in my opinion) a stand out as an authentic, rare rc model.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

if you are not soo interested in it falling off, why couldn't you just use some really thin wire and drill tiny holes thru the hull and then pass the wire thru and then glue. the wire may not even be that visible and it would allow it to swing. but if you get caught up, it would either pull out the wire or more likely bend the thin handle.
i guess in reality most Tigers probably lost their handles or at least bent them and they might have been carried inside or on supporting vehicle
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thank you for that. That’s pretty much the concept I have in mind. Now I need the time and motivation to get it done.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hence the later two part starting handle that was stowed beside the radio aerial mount.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Will01Capri wrote:i guess in reality most Tigers probably lost their handles
Cold starting with the handle is mandatory - the electrical starter was only to be used for warm (i.e. engine only recently off) starts. The full process for Eastern Front starting was two 'dummy' starts (i.e. to turn the engine over with the ignition off) before going for an actual attempt at firing up the engine. The idea of a crew losing their starting handle is somewhat akin to an MG42 gunner losing his firing pin - simply not something that they would ever allow to happen.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

;) KT Saumur start-up
https://youtu.be/d-CldHDb8aQ :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”