KT zimmerit

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
NAB
Corporal

KT zimmerit

Post by NAB »

I'm currently applying Zimmerit to my KT and have been supplied with a rear panel section. However I can't find any reference to say they put Zimmerit on this panel?
Attached is the bovington KT with no signs of Zimmerit on the rear.Image

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: KT zimmerit

Post by jhamm »

Take a sharper look at your picture...
in the lower section is Zimmerit
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

I’ve got a Torro Pro KT and have just finished putting Zimmerit using Milliput epoxy putty on the rear of mine. I found a number of photos showing it applied to the rear.

This might help. There’s a colour photo about 1/2 way down on the right hand side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_II

I hope this helps.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

jhamm wrote:Take a sharper look at your picture...
in the lower section is Zimmerit
Yes I see it now thanks.

NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

MikeHamilton wrote:I’ve got a Torro Pro KT and have just finished putting Zimmerit using Milliput epoxy putty on the rear of mine. I found a number of photos showing it applied to the rear.

This might help. There’s a colour photo about 1/2 way down on the right hand side.

I hope this helps.
I cheated and bought the atak Zimmerit. How are you finding the putty?

NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

Do you have a build thread for your KT?

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

NAB wrote:
MikeHamilton wrote:I’ve got a Torro Pro KT and have just finished putting Zimmerit using Milliput epoxy putty on the rear of mine. I found a number of photos showing it applied to the rear.

I hope this helps.
in my case it was an easy work, you have to work in stages as the putty hardens in minutes, so not too much putty every time, and cover a section of the tank, and so on...

oh, and the building process of my KoTi,,,

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10384

best regards!
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Jussek wrote:
NAB wrote:

I hope this helps.
in my case it was an easy work, you have to work in stages as the putty hardens in minutes, so not too much putty every time, and cover a section of the tank, and so on...

best regards!
Using Milliput is a breeze. It adheres very well and takes between 3 and 5 hours to harden. You’ve have plenty of time to get it “right”, and if you make a muck up, just redo it.
Using water and a paintbrush helps with the smoothing, but having looked at numerous pictures of Zimmerit, it’s well and truly daubed on and not very carefully either. Loads of lumps and bumps. There doesn’t appear to be a standard indentation width or how many rows or columns there are. Neatness was not the key.
I found that wearing nitrile gloves does save you getting gunk all over your hands.
NAB
Corporal

Post by NAB »

MikeHamilton wrote:
Jussek wrote:
NAB wrote:I cheated and bought the atak Zimmerit. How are you finding the putty?

best regards!
Using Milliput is a breeze. It adheres very well and takes between 3 and 5 hours to harden. You’ve have plenty of time to get it “right”, and if you make a muck up, just redo it.
Using water and a paintbrush helps with the smoothing, but having looked at numerous pictures of Zimmerit, it’s well and truly daubed on and not very carefully either. Loads of lumps and bumps. There doesn’t appear to be a standard indentation width or how many rows or columns there are. Neatness was not the key.
I found that wearing nitrile gloves does save you getting gunk all over your hands.
Close up of the Bovington KT if it's any use to you.
Would be good if you made a build thread so we can see the progressImage

MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Will do NAB

Return to “General Questions”