Metal shock upgrades?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Metal shock upgrades?

Post by Mister Thrice »

Hey all, long time, no post... Been stupid busy getting new local work and working on all the needy RC's, including a buddies traxxas vaterra twin hammers (not a new rc, so part sourcing was a joke)... But, the parts for my twin hammers knock off got here today and again, didn't have the differential teeth I need to mount the CVD's to, so they will sit there with the other pair, waiting... 4 months I've been trying to get that drama queen running again... Oh well...

But my metal shocks got here today for my walker bulldog. Now I know I have enough springs and spares to take care of any issues that they may bring up later. I counted my tracks like 3 times each, and they are both at 74 links, and will not seat comfortably with 73. So stronger shocks it is. At least for the back 2 pair. This will allow the return wheels to stop rubbing the road wheels (making a truly terribly sound the whole time...)

But, as I'm about to begin this charade, any tips or pointers or things I should maybe watch out for? They seem quite resilient, and they do seem stronger than the stock ones...

Thanks all for reading, see ya round the treads...
“Don't slide down the rabbit hole. The way down is a breeze, but climbing back's a battle.” --Kate Morton
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Re: Metal shock upgrades?

Post by Mister Thrice »

Well that was several painful hours for the thumbs & forefingers! Those pressure fitted knurled posts are no joke! Oy! Ended up using a cotter pin from an rc car to lock the spring in the depressed position while holding the piston out in order to finagle the receiver onto the post... After I reamed the receiving portion of extra metal (which I found out the hard way!)...

But, 74 tank treads for both sides, some tightening of the drive wheels, and those shocks rocked my tank!! Tread didn't derail once, and I ran it through some choppy forest. Runs like a dream now!! All the wheels still articulate, and it is a bit too springy now, but I'm not worried about it as there is more metal coming.

A couple of pictures for the occasion.
Attachments
M441 StSh2.jpeg
M41 StSh1.jpeg
“Don't slide down the rabbit hole. The way down is a breeze, but climbing back's a battle.” --Kate Morton

Return to “General Questions”