Torro Pro King Tiger Main Gun Wobble

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Torro Pro King Tiger Main Gun Wobble

Post by MikeHamilton »

Good morning,

Does anyone know how to get rid of the excessive main gun wobble on a metal turret Torro King Tiger please? The wobbling is really off putting.
The only thought I've had (though not put into practice) is to put a shim between the end of the barrel and the holding bracket, thus making the gap narrower.

Thank you.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Torro Pro King Tiger Main Gun Wobble

Post by jarndice »

Very few pre WW2 armies trained their tank gunners how to fire on the move,
The professional tankers of the Prewar British Armoured Corp were very proud of that hard won particular skill but when War came the relatively small British army gave way to a conscripted army and there was not enough time to teach that skill and so the Tank pretty much universally became a mobile artillery piece with the barrel supported,
One of the advantages of the medium Tank was its shorter sturdy barrel which helped to reduce the effects of metal stress while travelling with the turret forward,
Lots of heavy armour had a main gun rest fitted so that when the Tank was rolling the turret was reversed and the main gun was in the trail position strapped into the rest and even without a rest the barrel would lie along the engine bay and was secure from bouncing around and not subject to stress.
Most Tanks prior to 1950 carried out very little mileage except in combat otherwise they were trailered or entrained so the turret was reversed with the main gun barrel strapped to the engine bay.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Take a look through the forum and you'll find extensive text on this subject. My thread covers all the fixes required but there are others who dealt with it too.

In essence, the plastic top deck is to flexible, the turret / hull needs shimming and the barrel elevation mechanism needs reinforcing. All doable but that doesn't make it acceptable. Worth the effort though.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thank you. What I was referring to, was when I just drive the tank forward or backwards the barrel wobbles like crazy.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Yes, that's what l was responding to. Jandice was on another planet! ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Tamiya sold a counterweight of 150 grs to be installed inside and on the rear of the turret base, to try to counter this phenomenon, it is also possible to reinforce the turret base plate, with 2 angles, or aluminum plate, browse the different posts of this forum, and find several ideas
Exemples;
9BEACB64-69B3-4BC3-8985-A123765028D4.jpeg
9BEACB64-69B3-4BC3-8985-A123765028D4.jpeg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 546 times
BC33B383-815C-4E00-85AB-70196CAE2FC4.jpeg

Return to “General Questions”