Taigen V3 Steel gearbox’s not fitting panzer III?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
awoychosky123
Recruit

Taigen V3 Steel gearbox’s not fitting panzer III?

Post by awoychosky123 »

I got some V3 Taigen gearbox’s the ones with the built in dust covers from their website. However, I can’t get the RH gearbox to fit, when mounted it’s too tall for the upper hull to go over it. These seem to fit like Low/High boxes where I would need Low/Med. But when I ordered them I selected the Panzer III option. I tried their support but I haven’t heard anything back yet. Just wondering if anyone else here has tried mounting this gearbox in their Panzer iii?

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Taigen V3 Steel gearbox’s not fitting panzer III?

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon, Awoy,
I built an early Stug III Ausf B which uses the Panzer III lower. I had to replace the original gearboxes\motors and order the low profile gearboxes\motors for the upper to sit on the lower correctly. Taigen still makes those I believe. The new gearboxes that you have look like the same motor configuration from that set that originally came in the Panzer III just with an added cover.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
yet low slung and as smooth as butter in their operation..JPG
yet low slung and as smooth as butter in their operation..JPG
Very heavy and solid....JPG
Very heavy and solid....JPG
There is the cause of the clearance problem..JPG
There is the cause of the clearance problem..JPG
There is the cause of the clearance problem..JPG (85.54 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Stock pot metal gearboxes.JPG
Stock pot metal gearboxes.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
awoychosky123
Recruit

Post by awoychosky123 »

Thanks for the reply Painless, I have those Low/Low gearboxes fitted in my panzer III chassis I'm using for my StuG III Ausf C/D build but I wanted to try these other gearboxes on my actual Panzer III, at least in your photos it looks like you can put the stock panzer III upper on, I can't get the stock panzer III upper to fit with these gears, RH is wicked high.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Awoy!
No problem. It looks like they might fit the other tanks mentioned, the Tiger and Sturm Tiger. I am not sure what Taigen is thinking, advertising them for the PZ III when the original ones barely fit as is? Good Luck, Doc.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “General Questions”