Confused

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Confused

Post by MikeHamilton »

Hi guys,

I realise that I have in all probability posted this in the wrong section, but there didn’t seem to be correct pigeon hole for this as you’ll see.

I’m very much a newbie to RC anything let alone tanks.

I’m in the process of stripping down my Torro Pro Metal King Tiger with a view of strengthening the hull and deck and adding more detail.

I’ve been thinking that whilst it’s stripped down that it might be as good a time to upgrade the main board to an “alternative” and the strengthening can be made for the new board and goodies. The KT currently has a Version 3 board. Now the question is which “alternative” board to go for - Elmod, IBU2 or Clark? I’ve had a trawl of the relevant web sites and am very very confused.

I like the idea of decent sound sets, proportional smoke with either a Tarr or GI unite and servo operated gun elevation etc.

All I’ve been able to ascertain with a certain degree of uncertainty is that a Windows PC is required to program an IBU2 or Elmod. I’ve not had Windows PC for the best part of 15 years as I ran a support company for Apple Macs and I have only access to Apple kit and don’t really want to go down the Windows route if I can avoid it.

I believe that the Elmod app will only run up to El Capitan. I use Mac OSX 11 (Big Sur).

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to my way forward as to what to get and can the lack of Windows be easily overcome.

Thanks in anticipation.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Confused

Post by Kaczor »

IBU2 don't have any program. You modify settings on microSD card using text editor (.ini file), so any Win, Mac or Linux system would work.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Kaczor wrote:IBU2 don't have any program. You modify settings on microSD card using text editor (.ini file), so any Win, Mac or Linux system would work.
Thank you. I must have missed or misread that bit.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, 43 Recce Regt (roy) truly one of the most staunch members of the Forum exclusively uses an Apple Mac and I do not think he has faced a problem that the Mac cannot handle when confronted by Windows,
I have a box with a Windows 11 pc inside gathering dust because my windows 7 professional looks like it will go on forever,
The micro sd card from my IBU2 and my ELMOD boards had no problem downloading into my pc and I did not expect them to. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

jarndice wrote:I have a box with a Windows 11 pc inside gathering dust
Didn't think they were releasing Windows 11 until October... :D
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

tankme wrote:
jarndice wrote:I have a box with a Windows 11 pc inside gathering dust
Didn't think they were releasing Windows 11 until October... :D
Of course you are quite right, What I meant was it is a brand new windows 10 that I will immediately download the windows 11 into as soon as I decide to unbox it :{
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”