How do I . . .

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

How do I . . .

Post by MikeHamilton »

A quick question for the hive mind.

How does one remove the glued on accessories on Taigen King Tigers?

I’d like to replace the plastic towing cables with metal ones, either bought or scratch made.

I’d also like to remove the metal tools and fire extinguisher etc. so I can sand off the mould marks

Thank you
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: How do I . . .

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If they are glued on, then you'll need to pry them off carefully avoiding any hull damage. If they are moulded then try a pair of modeling cutters, a sharp scalpel and/or a Dremel with a suitable bit. Be prepared to snap most of the glued on bits and repaint the hull. Replacement parts are available from Henglong as sets for their tanks.

Why do Taigen supply their tanks this way? Beats me and the rest of us!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

MikeHamilton wrote:A quick question for the hive mind.

How does one remove the glued on accessories on Taigen King Tigers?

Thank you
There are a number of "Debonders" available, apply, wait 5 minutes then start working the part, If you can access the other side of the item then apply "Debonder" on that reversed side.
Molded on tools respond well to an "Exacto" blade being pushed flat against the side of the molded item then worked from side to side with the blade this is especially true when removing the excess radio aerial which once the piece has started to peel off grasp it with a pair of grips and pull and cut at the same time,
To add authenticity AND save money you will have noticed that the side fenders are separated by molded in lines showing they were in fact separate items,This tip works just the same with the Tiger 1 side fenders. :thumbup:
Using an "Exacto" saw carefully saw down the mold lines and your fenders will look just as if you had fitted separate upgraded Photo-Etch fenders :thumbup:
To avoid marking the fenders place low tac paper each side and close to the line you intend cutting.
Last edited by jarndice on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

General Jumbo01 wrote:If they are glued on, then you'll need to pry them off carefully avoiding any hull damage. Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk

They’re glued on, really well. I broke one of the lugs attempting to get one of the tow cables off.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

jarndice wrote:There are a number of "Debonders" available, apply, wait 5 minutes then start working the part, If you can access the other side of the item then apply "Debonder" on that reversed side.
Do you know whether the glue is Superglue as there are debonders for that. If it’s not Superglue, any ideas what else it could be please?

Great tip about slicing the fenders. Thank you.
Last edited by MikeHamilton on Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

MikeHamilton wrote: Do you know whether the glue is Superglue as there are debonders for that. If it’s not Superglue, any ideas what else it could be please?
nobody - apart from the Chinese in his backyard workshop - knows which glue was used.
Mostly it's plastic glue - not super glue...
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

And usually rather too much of it. I use a Dremel with a router bit to grind the plastic glue etc off the inside of the hull, then a knife to rock the remains of the fitting until it snaps. As l said above, all the tools can be replaced from the Henglong parts box for their model.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D if you look from below, you must see the small holes where the different accessories are glued, from there, make a small hole (without crossing) on ??each point, and then apply pressure with an Xacto knife, between the frame and the 'tool, I never have any worries for now,
we also sometimes get there, depending on the amount of glue, always passing the Xacto blade between the tool and the frame (on top) in any way there will be filling
tankme

Post by tankme »

For the really stubborn parts I will sometimes chisel them off or I use these to remove details I don't want or plan to replace: XACTO X218 #18 HEAVYWEIGHT WOOD CHISELING BLADE

I have one large XActo sacrificial knife handle that I put those blades in and use a plastic hammer to literally cut the details off. The end of the tool is a little mushroomed by now, but it works. Just don't haul off and smack the crap out of it or you can snap a blade or hurt yourself. It just takes little taps and work slowly around the part until it loosens itself. I wouldn't do this method without the hammer as trying to push the tool can lead to it slipping and cutting yourself.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Questions”