Heng Long Sherman recoil & flash

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Bassetus44
Recruit

Heng Long Sherman recoil & flash

Post by Bassetus44 »

I’ve a Heng Long Sherman that I extensively modified to Firefly circa 8 years ago. It runs on old 27Mhz /BB and badly needs an update, mainly barrel recoil & flash.

Have any of you fitted a Taigen recoil unit, (already have a spare), as used in Panzer III etc.? For simplicity I plan to use a Taigen V3 with anti track recoil. I know some creative mountings will be required, but will it physically fit?

I modified / scratch built the gun mantle during the original build and fully expect to do a little more. :shifty:

Any info appreciated.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Heng Long Sherman recoil & flash

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I'm in the process of doing the same to a Trumpeter T34/76 mod '43 turret which looks to be about the same size as my Sherman's. The Taigen recoil / elevation part is a tight fit but will just about go in...just! The next tricky element of the fit is the need to connect the recoil and elevation parts such that the mantlet can pivot about the correct axis. Add to that the mass of wires, the IR led and receiver which all need to be fitted with absolutely no room for fingers or tools and you have a challenge ahead. The unit itself is bulky but there are parts of the metal back plate that can be reduced if required.

Good luck!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01

Same unit?Image

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

Thanks for the reply and info General. Yes I thought a bit tight and I’ve already modified the mantlet in the original build. I’ve a Tiger 1 and Jagdtiger to finish off, then I’ll crack on with the Sherman. I will of course let you know what I find out.

Good luck to you too.
Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

Here’s my unit, bought for my PzKpfw IV BB to recoil & flash but I fitted a full recoil / flash turret instead. It has elevation already included.
Attachments
7C910B8F-18B8-438B-9512-540DFDAF3D00.jpeg
7C910B8F-18B8-438B-9512-540DFDAF3D00.jpeg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 959 times
D5450259-FBAF-4E60-A2CB-A13F96B09B8B.jpeg
D5450259-FBAF-4E60-A2CB-A13F96B09B8B.jpeg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 959 times
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

woz has it on his website scroll down through his pictures

https://warrenhudsonmodelling.blogspot. ... build.html
General Jumbo01

The build in that link shows the same unit as mine but there doesn't appear to be any elevation fitted. That's actually the tricky bit if you use the system in that unit as you must use the same pivot positions as the original position, simple if you use a separate servo with link but not so if using the Taigen components because if the limited space.
Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

I like Woz’s mounting backet for the recoil unit. When I first took a quick look at doing this, I strongly suspected it would come down to give and take a couple of millimetres here and there.
I have a compact recoil kit I purchased from Forgebear with servo, but of course, as stated, it then it requires another micro servo mounted for elevation.
I really need to strip down the turret, look at the elevation pivot points and work backwards & forwards from that, ensuring that elevation and recoil are not restricted. I prefer the Taigen recoil and flash route as I know it will wire and fire with a Taigen V3.
Last edited by Bassetus44 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Jumbo01

Yes, been there, done it! It can still work with a separate servo but you'll need to use the Taigen leads that connect to hobby standard radio system and then use a spare channel for the servo. You can then link the channels to add the sound. Flysky i6 is a good, economic route but if you persevere with the geometry and slim down your fingers you'll get there either route.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

There's elevation within the unit ?

Return to “General Questions”