Heng Long Sherman recoil & flash

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Bassetus44
Recruit

Re: Heng Long Sherman recoil & flash

Post by Bassetus44 »

Yes, elevation within the unit as per your photo. What mounting bracket is that? Did you make it? This is exactly what I need to do to my Sherman.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

My bad, l stopped scrolling down after the first photo of the unit where the elevation arm is missing! :{

The unit comes with all the fittings.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01

Well l can confirm it all fits and works in the similar sized T34/76 turret but l needed to remove all the surplus metal back plate, then make a new elevation arm (shorter and different slot location) and modify the servo barrel mount position and throw. Then there's the mantlet internal mods. If you enjoy designing and fabrication new parts then you'll enjoy the exercise. It's what we do ;)

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

Thanks for the update General.
I don’t have the metal back plate, so a plus there. I’ve bought from Dave Forgebear, steel gear boxes, metal sprockets & idlers this week, together with a Taigen 3 MFU, anti track recoil this week. To complete the stash for the revamp, I need a Taigen 360 Degree Slip Ring and Turret Ring for IR with machine gun including the 3 + 11 & 5 + 5 connector, but unfortunately Forgebear are sold out at present. I’ll ring Dave latter and see what he can do.

When I did the first convention build, I had to mess about with the elevation points and the mantlet, that I converted from a Mato Metal M34A1 Gun Mount that just didn’t look right for a Firefly. When I open the turret up we’ll see if it’ll work with the recoil/elevation unit without major mods. I’ll keep you posted.

Good luck with your elevation arm. I had quick look at mine and it looks do able, probably without too much chopping, as there is a degree of lateral movement available, circa 3mm with the original elevation arm, (@ 2.5mm thick) in place. I think if I have to do this I’ll use aluminium,(duralumin) to permit a little bend and tweak. Hey, your metal back plate may be just the ticket for material! :O

ATB
General Jumbo01

Mines all working now. I fabricated a new elevation arm with the correct angles and lengths and modified the recoil arm and the barrel mountings and pivots in the mantlet. As belowImageImage

Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

Oh well done! I need to get the last items, finish the Tiger and get on with it.

What turret did you use for your T34? It’s a T34/76 yes?
General Jumbo01

It's from the Trumpeter T34/76 mod '43 kit so a rather expensive turret but the detail is great and the hull will become some other useful bit of diarama. Maybe a mod '42 next (smaller still). Once you've started it just sort of happens, as many here will confirm :haha:
Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

I thought Trumpeter. I agree, one project leads to another and that to yet more. I started with 1/16 in around 2004 with a Tamiya Tiger I full option then a Tamiya King Tiger full option + with a couple of mods and a Pershing full option. With two more Tamiya (Sherman & Jagdpanzer IV) waiting new in the box and at least four other tanks from Torro, Matorro & Heng Long, plus trucks to mod., with a Tamiya Kubelwagon it’s about 20 RC vehicles. I think I’ve either got the bug or am out of control! :crazy:
General Jumbo01

Yes, both! Join the gang :(

Return to “General Questions”