Taigen Heng long swap

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby Topper » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi
Would it be possible to swap the metal tracks and gearbox from a Taigen Panther G to a Heng long King Tiger?
Thanks in advance
Frank

Topper
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:16 pm

It wouldn't be as difficult as fitting HL/Taigen gearboxes into a Tamiya King Tiger. Sorry about the initial response, but I had two links to RCTW open simultaneously on two different browsers, and typed replies into the wrong threads. Duh :/ :/
You shouldn't have too much difficulty fitting the boxes, but I think the sprockets are not the same, and could be an issue. Tracks tend to fit certain sprockets.
Thus if you can fit your Panther boxes to the HL KT, the KT sprockets you will need might have compatibility issues with your Panther tracks.
All you can do, is put it all together and see what happens. :)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby Topper » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi
I think you have posted this in the wrong thread

Topper
Lance Corporal

Postby BarryC » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Topper wrote:Hi

It would seem so. :think:

Barry
BarryC
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:42 pm

BarryC wrote:

It would seem so. :think:

Barry

He's all confused bless him, what with winning the TOTM, and the Scottish football team not losing against England, his mind has gone to mush ;)
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:58 pm

Would it be possible to swap the metal tracks and gearbox from a Taigen Panther G to a Heng long King Tiger?
Thanks in advance
Frank

I know the gearboxes are interchangeable as both tanks have the same gearbox configuration and shaft length.
As for the Panther tracks lining and working with the KT's road wheels, I can't offer any help with that as I don't have a Panther I'm afraid.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby jarndice » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Thanks in advance
Frank

I know the gearboxes are interchangeable as both tanks have the same gearbox configuration and shaft length.
As for the Panther tracks lining and working with the KT's road wheels, I can't offer any help with that as I don't have a Panther I'm afraid.

http://www.forgebeartanks.com are selling the "Ultimate 11 Gearboxes SHORT Shaft" for the Tiger 1 and the Panzer 4, They are also selling the "Ultimate 11 Gearboxes LONG Shaft" for the Panther G.and the King Tiger
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:35 am

Absolutely. I was replying to two threads at the same time but, evidently, I had a multi-tasking meltdown. :crazy: :D
I did, in fact, post a link to Forgebear in relation to your query, but it seems to have disappeared in the ether...or, it may pop up on an unrelated thread. :haha:
Taigen Panther G gearboxes require their own mounting plate, as far as I can recall; but, as others have often proved, just about anything is possible if you're determined enough. Sprockets are the likely issue, I would think.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby Topper » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:45 am

Thanks
My King tiger arrives today,I will take a look and make a decision.
Thanks again
Frank

Topper
Lance Corporal

Postby Topper » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Panther tracks are not as wide or long as the King Tiger

Topper
Lance Corporal

Return to General Questions