Loads Of Questions From A Newbie

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Re: Loads Of Questions From A Newbie

Post by MikeHamilton »

jarndice wrote:And don't forget the Isopropanol (Acrylic Thinners) to clean the vehicle before paint,
I don't know if you know but all German military vehicles between 1939 and 1945 used Red Oxide as a primer, Any garage accessory store will sell you a large rattle can of the stuff which is enough for at least 2 tanks for less than £10.
Thanks for the heads up .
I’ve got about 10 litres of IPA (bought just before the first lockdown) as I do a bit of 3D resin printing for my model railway.

Red oxide primer is on my shopping list.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I believe Jarndice is correct about the red oxide primer. Now as to IPA, around here that means „India Pale Ale.“ 10 litres! WHEEE!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, the red oxide primer is for historical accuracy, but Mike will still need a non ferrous primer for the metal parts :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I believe Jarndice is correct about the red oxide primer. Now as to IPA, around here that means „India Pale Ale.“ 10 litres! WHEEE!
IPA means the same as that where I am, about 12 miles north of Bury St Edmunds, home of the Greene King brewery.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yes, the red oxide primer is for historical accuracy, but Mike will still need a non ferrous primer for the metal parts :thumbup:
For my model railway I use Halfords aerosol primers for plastic and when necessary their primer for metals. Would they be ok to use? If not, what make do you suggest please?
Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

A good choice for a first adventure and much good advice. Dave at Forgebear is a super guy to deal with.
One function that hasn’t been mentioned & some find annoying is ‘track recoil’, whereby the tank indexes back then forward again on firing the gun. If this gets to you as it does me, Dave has a V3 Taigen Version that permits the track recoil to be switched off. There are add-on boxes that can offer this, but the V3 with anti track recoil is just a straight swop ie. unplug & re-plug.
Forgebear ref:-
Taigen 2.4 gig GHZ MFU Control Upgrade 1:16 Scale RC Tank V3 Version with anti track recoil.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thanks Bassetus44 for the advice.
Basically I just want to “play” with the tank and find out what I like or dislike about it’s functions and operability and then once I’ve decided what I want from it then go down the upgrade route without hopefully breaking the bank.
First job though is to strengthen the deck so it doesn’t sag from the turret weight, which can be an issue by all accounts.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

MikeHamilton wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yes, the red oxide primer is for historical accuracy, but Mike will still need a non ferrous primer for the metal parts :thumbup:
For my model railway I use Halfords aerosol primers for plastic and when necessary their primer for metals. Would they be ok to use? If not, what make do you suggest please?
The trouble with using Aerosol Metal Primers is it goes everywhere and is just plain wasteful.
Unless you have an all metal Tank I would advise you get something like "Mr Metal Primer-R" (Find it on E-Bay or any decent model outlet) which comes in a small bottle and lasts forever,
It can be easily applied directly to the desired area by brush, left to dry then sprayed or brushed over with your primer of choice as part of the whole painting process.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

jarndice wrote:
MikeHamilton wrote:
The trouble with using Aerosol Metal Primers is it goes everywhere and is just plain wasteful.
Unless you have an all metal Tank I would advise you get something like "Mr Metal Primer-R" (Find it on E-Bay or any decent model outlet) which comes in a small bottle and lasts forever,
It can be easily applied directly to the desired area by brush, left to dry then sprayed or brushed over with your primer of choice as part of the whole painting process.
I’ve got tons of rattle can red oxide primer already from doing my model railway. But priming etc is a long way off yet. I’ll get any mods / upgrades done before any paint gets anywhere neat it.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am talking about Metal Primer Mike,
It is quite soul destroying to paint a model only to see the paint self destructing on the metal parts :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”