Loads Of Questions From A Newbie

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby MikeHamilton » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:32 am

Hi, I only joined the forum yesterday and am a complete newbie as far as RC goes.
I’ve always fancied an RC tank and began researching last week and have loads of questions, to which I hope people can offer some help or guidance.

I have nearly made my mind up to get a King Tiger of some sort to cut my teeth on.

I have spoken to Dave at Forgebear yesterday and he can get a Torro metal King Tiger to me in about 2 weeks and he seems like a genuine bloke, especially with me being such a newbie.

As far as makes go , what are the differences between a Heng Long and a Torro, apart from the Torro having more metal than the Heng Long?

Which is the better make between HL and Torro in terms of reliability and build quality / longevity?

If I were to go for the metal KT I gather that as far as after market upgrades to wheels etc. go they’re already included.

What are the pros and cons between BB and IR. I think I know the answer and for me I don’t want to be shooting plastic BB around the garden, but are there any other differences between the two systems?

Does the Torro have a recoiling barrel? If not, can they be added at some stage?

Are the supplied batteries irrespective of which make of model I go for OK or do they need upgrading.

I think that’s about it for the time being and apologies for the long post.

MikeHamilton
Private

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:24 pm

A few quick answers:
1. Dave at Forgebear is a top-notch seller. If notches (like the 'Spinal Tap' volume control) went past 0-10, he would also be 11.
2. A Torro/Taigen KT with IR will almost certainly have recoil. The only real attribute of an IR model is the option battling with other Tamiya compatible IR tanks.
3. Heng Long tanks sporting the V6.0 series of controllers (superior to the Taigen V3 electronics IMHO) allow can offer BB with IR capability. Taigen models can't.
4. 'Metal' parts such as metal turrets might sound appealing, but the added weight can be a big problem, and they are harder to modify than ABS/Styrene-based components.
Durability will be contingent on many things, and there's no quick answer to that. Opinions will differ, of course, on this and other questions. It's best to dig into the archive where you'll find loads of threads on relevant topics. You could easily find yourself immersed in them. :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby Jofaur86 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:27 pm

:D Personally if it is to start, I would take stock with "Dave" Forgebear, in order to know what would be best to familiarize yourself with this discipline, this in order not to want to start with something complicated and to be discouraged, that also depends on your knowledge and financial means, personally I would bet more on the infrared system, than ball shot? more functions, what about the batteries? I suppose that you speak about those of the transmitter, any brand is suitable, for the charcil comes a battery of type Nimh approximately 2000 Mah and a charger which in fact has only the name of charger, but to start that is enough, to see the follow-up that you will give, then it is necessary to invest in a serious battery, mini 3300 Mah and an automatic charger. But as our friend said above, browse the various posts of this forum, to have an idea more precise of this hobby

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby Kaczor » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:06 pm

- I do not see advantages of BB. For me it looks like a child's toy ;) With IR you will have recoil and flash.
- Lots of parts and details are exchangable between HL and Taigen.
- IMHO most important is to have metal lower part (chassis, tracks and wheels). Plastic upper hull and turret are easier to modify and detail than pot-metal parts.

I've had lots of HL and Taigen tanks. In many cases same tank, different manufacturer (Pz III, Sherman, Tiger, Kingtiger and more). I would swap Taigen for HL any day. I.e. in case of Pz III and Sherman Taigen is superior in case of sturdines and construction of suspension.
Kaczor
Sergeant

Postby Jofaur86 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:31 pm

Kaczor, is absolutely right, Heng Long is "Full plastic" it is of course possible to improve over time, but in the end will come back the same price see more than the original purchase "Full metal" and then it is possible in the future of replacing the original electronics with a more efficient one, Ibu, Clark TK or Elmod, see electronics section of this forum. You should also know that the original transmitter is dedicated, and will only work with its own turntable, so not possible to use a standard radio with original electro.

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby jarndice » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 pm

The one very important difference between Heng Long and Taigen/Torro is that Heng Longs tools and removable fittings on the body come on a seperate sprue leaving an uncluttered surface that is ready for paint and/or the replacement with better quality or finer detailed parts instead of the provided accessories whereas the other two have everything molded in place which makes the preparation for painting a pain in the fundament, And that is why I have been patiently waiting for an updated Heng Long Panzer 4 body rather than having to scrape off the molded tools on the Taigen body.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby MikeHamilton » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.

OK then. If I go for an HL King Tiger can you get them “complete” RTR with metal hull, metal wheels and tracks etc. with plastic deck and turret?

MikeHamilton
Private

Postby jarndice » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:17 am

Mike there is a lot of metal in and on Heng Long tanks depending on the particular specification that you opt for but Heng Long do not do metal hulls,
I wish they did,
I have never owned a Tiger 2,
My first love is the PZ4 followed by the Tiger 1,
The Tiger 1 I buy is a Heng Long Body & turret and a Taigen Metal Hull and when buying a Heng Long Panzer 4 it will be a Heng Long body and a Taigen Turret and a Taigen Metal Hull,
The Heng Long bodies are a straight swap with the Taigen metal hull which also comes with a quick release.
The latest Taigen Control board (The V3) is very nice with the ability to operate with Taigens Transmitter or an aftermarket Transmitter and a choice of sound cards that match the engine of your particular Tank, BUT the equivilant Heng Long Tiger 2 has the vastly superior Version 6 control board with a much broader range of available sounds and abilities.
Do study the specifications and make sure what you want is what is being offered and do bear in mind that a Heng Long Tiger 1 with a version 6 control board is being sold for £100 and the upgrades can be fitted as and when you can afford them thereby bringing it up to the top spec as when the pocket book allows.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Jofaur86 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:07 pm

MikeHamilton wrote:Thanks for all the info guys.

OK then. If I go for an HL King Tiger can you get them “complete” RTR with metal hull, metal wheels and tracks etc. with plastic deck and turret?

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1 ... Tiger.html
yes, see Dave, here example of possible composition, chassis, undercarriage, tracks, metal ect.

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby MikeHamilton » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:44 pm

jarndice wrote:Mike there is a lot of metal in and on Heng Long tanks depending on the particular specification that you opt for but Heng Long do not do metal hulls,
I wish they did,
I have never owned a Tiger 2,
My first love is the PZ4 followed by the Tiger 1,
The Tiger 1 I buy is a Heng Long Body & turret and a Taigen Metal Hull and when buying a Heng Long Panzer 4 it will be a Heng Long body and a Taigen Turret and a Taigen Metal Hull,
The Heng Long bodies are a straight swap with the Taigen metal hull which also comes with a quick release.
The latest Taigen Control board (The V3) is very nice with the ability to operate with Taigens Transmitter or an aftermarket Transmitter and a choice of sound cards that match the engine of your particular Tank, BUT the equivilant Heng Long Tiger 2 has the vastly superior Version 6 control board with a much broader range of available sounds and abilities.
Do study the specifications and make sure what you want is what is being offered and do bear in mind that a Heng Long Tiger 1 with a version 6 control board is being sold for £100 and the upgrades can be fitted as and when you can afford them thereby bringing it up to the top spec as when the pocket book allows.

Thanks for the info.
I did a trawl of the various threads and I think I understand what you mean.
I need to get:

HL IR King Tiger?
Which model HL do I get, the “Pro”?
Taigens metal KIng Tiger hull?

I can then swap the electronics from the HL into the Taigens hull and use the KT plastic deck and add whatever KT “bits”, which come with the model to the hull?

I can add also fit metal treads, sprockets and road wheels to the Taigens metal hull?

The controller I use would be the HL one?

I can then at a later date when funds allow fit a different control board and goodies, yes?

I hope this makes sense?

MikeHamilton
Private

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:34 pm

"I can then swap the electronics from the HL into the Taigens hull and use the KT plastic deck and add whatever KT “bits”, which come with the model to the hull?" I suspect that the choice of the most recent HengLong electronics and the most recent Taigen electronics is a matter of personal preference. If I were in your situation, I would start with a top-of-the line Taigen with V3 electronics, including the sound module. This route is expensive, but less expensive than switching out this and that. You will have a good tank right at the git-go. That's my two cents, zwei pfennig, tuppence worth.
Herr Dr. Professor
Sergeant

Postby jarndice » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:36 pm

A good plan BUT do make sure that the control board in the Heng Long Tjger 2 is a version 6.0 or better because the 5.3 control board and lower are most disappointing and the less than totally honest dealers will try to sell you a brand new OLD STOCK Tank.
I would not touch an old stock Heng Long/Taigen/Torro Tank and neither should you.
The packaging will have Version 6.0 printed on the outside.
As too whether you buy a "Pro" or not, Bearing in mind that you are only using the Heng Long Tank body and the Turret if most or all of the "Pro" parts are in or part of the plastic hull then you may be wasting your money unless the Taigen Metal hull can use those pro parts.
You hardly need to waste money by duplicating parts.
So study what the Taigen metal hull offers which should certainly include a torsion bar suspension and a floor and hopefully a decent pair of Taigen Gearboxes then check to see what the Heng Long Pro offers, after that do check to see what differences there are between the Heng Long PRO and the rest of the Heng Long Tiger 2 range before parting with your hard earned.
Certainly you can as the Herr Doktor suggests buy a Taigen V3 board and sound card and transmitter but as the Heng Long Tiger 2 comes with a Version 6.0 control board as standard you are buying a second control board which in my humble opinion is not as good as a duplicate.
Last edited by jarndice on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Jimster » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:37 pm

You’re on the right track! My Tiger 1 has the Taigen metal hull and complete metal running components with Heng Long sprockets and Mato tracks. The upper deck is plastic Heng Long because of the molded on tool issue. The Turret is a Taigen with metal barrel. Everything else is totally aftermarket stuff but it’s a fun journey. Just start with a solid foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:50 pm

I now see that you are getting a confusing array of advice. In my opinion, it's all good advice! That's right: it comes down to personal preference. No matter what you choose, you will have challenges and fun-fun-fun (until daddy takes the T-Bird away). :D
Herr Dr. Professor
Sergeant

Postby john1970 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Be careful of what you buy all heng long 6.0 tanks are BB + IR this means they will battle with each other via their infra red battle system but also fire BB's this wont give you barrel recoil or barrel flash and given the way the heng long king tiger henschel turret pivots at the mantle and not the bb unit makes it very difficult to convert to barrel recoil.

john1970
Lance Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:19 pm

Torro and Taigen are like for like. Heng Long is the odd one out.
T and T both have a part metal chassis/tub/lower hull. None of their tanks are ALL metal. They will come with a plastic top hull, and turret that has a mostly metal main body, also they should have steel drive gears and all metal running gear, tracks, sprockets, idlers, road wheels and suspension arms. In my opinion, they are the better value for a complete tank.

H L only has a plastic chassis/tub/lower hull which needs reinforcing. The pro versions come with metal gearboxes with zinc alloy gears, which are no better than nylon gears. They also have the metal tracks, sprockets and idlers, nothing else metal. You can purchase steel gearboxes, metal road wheels and suspension arms to fit the Heng Long plastic chassis, but the chassis really isn't up to the loading. I personally think having/purchasing all metal running gear for Heng Long is throwing money away unless you're able to strengthen and modify the tub. Also you would need to modify the tub to add a good quality idler adjuster, which is essential.

If you were to purchase a Taigen or Torro chassis for the Heng Long, you would also need to purchase a pair of steel gear boxes, metal tracks, sprockets, idlers, and road wheels on top. Those chassis already have suspension arms attached to the chassis via the torsion suspension. Also I do believe the chassis comes with an idler adjuster.
This all adds up cost wise, and would work out more expensive that a complete Torro or Taigen tank.

As for the electronics. It would appear that the latest H L has the edge over T and T with functionality. Although, the Taigen V3 (not sure if this board is in the Torro?) Can be linked/bound to a hobby grade/aftermarket controller, giving more useful control.
Also, depending on your budget, there are aftermarket boards which in my opinion are worth considering if the budget allows.

As has been mentioned, H L doesn't give barrel recoil, where as T and T do for their IR tanks. Now that is down to your personal choice, would you want realism, or shoot BB's.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby MikeHamilton » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:56 pm

Thank you so much for all the info etc. It’s very much appreciated.
I have this afternoon taken the plunge on a Torro King Tiger from Forgebear. I went for the unpainted metal version so I can detail it myself and I thought that £150 for a paint job and a wooden crate was stretching my funds too much at this stage. I have an airbrush and tons of acrylics, so I should be able to do a decent job of painting the beastie when that time comes.

MikeHamilton
Private

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Excellent :thumbup:
You'll need a good non ferrous etching primer for your metal parts.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby MikeHamilton » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:15 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Excellent :thumbup:
You'll need a good non ferrous etching primer for your metal parts.

Aha. Good point. Thank you. That’ll go on my shopping list.

MikeHamilton
Private

Postby jarndice » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 pm

And don't forget the Isopropanol (Acrylic Thinners) to clean the vehicle before paint,
I don't know if you know but all German military vehicles between 1939 and 1945 used Red Oxide as a primer, Any garage accessory store will sell you a large rattle can of the stuff which is enough for at least 2 tanks for less than £10.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Next

Return to General Questions