M3 Lee/Grant reference books

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

M3 Lee/Grant reference books

Post by SimonCornes »

Just a quick query - what books can you recommend? I've noticed the David Doyle super book at around £37 but thats more than I want to spend. Of 'the others' what do you think is worth having, particularly for Grant reference? I have noticed the Kagero book, which I assume is only drawings? Also the New Vanguard which I imagine is quite old now and the Legends of Warfare book, also by David Doyle.
Whats the opinion please?
Thank you.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M3 Lee/Grant reference books

Post by lmcq11 »

It depends on your needs. If you need close up pictures for a build, Prime portal has a good walk around for free on the web. I would select and locally print the areas of interest.

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/anon_idf/m3_grant/

Squadron/signal has a 2 good cheap books, the walk around and the In action which have pictures and text, the walk around is in color. They usually have just enough texts for the purpose of modelling.

If you want graphs of every versions and variations, the AJ press gunpowder no 32 is pretty good.

Although I do not have the one on the M3, I personally find the Legends of Warfare books to usually contain mostly old black and white pictures, no graph and lots of text. They are not what I need for modelling references.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Re: M3 Lee/Grant reference books

Post by SimonCornes »

lmcq11 wrote:It depends on your needs. If you need close up pictures for a build, Prime portal has a good walk around for free on the web. I would select and locally print the areas of interest.

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/anon_idf/m3_grant/

Squadron/signal has a 2 good cheap books, the walk around and the In action which have pictures and text, the walk around is in color. They usually have just enough texts for the purpose of modelling.

If you want graphs of every versions and variations, the AJ press gunpowder no 32 is pretty good.

Although I do not have the one on the M3, I personally find the Legends of Warfare books to usually contain mostly old black and white pictures, no graph and lots of text. They are not what I need for modelling references.
Thank you. Maybe picking up an Airfix/Takom or Tamiya 1/35th kit might be the best/easiest way to get references? I like the Squadron/Signal stuff but I fancy picking up a single book that might give me a good overview. Interesting that you don't rate the Legends of Warfare book by Doyle, and thats a 2021 book. I suppose the more expensive book is his magnum opus on the subject but probably far too detailed for me.
This is where a Tankcraft or a Haynes or even an Images of War book would be very useful!

Return to “General Questions”