Help Request - Taigen Tiger 1 not binding

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
DaveNorthWales
Recruit

Help Request - Taigen Tiger 1 not binding

Post by DaveNorthWales »

I'm not sure if this should go here or in an electronics section, if it is in the wrong place maybe a helpful mod will move it.

Having retired and getting bored, and then going straight into lockdown-level of boredom, my older brother ordered the only Taigen Tiger 1 kit he could find anywhere, which was from a shop in Germany. Then his health took a major downturn. During lockdown he's lost 75% of his vision, had some toes amputated, and been diagnosed with chronic kidney failure and leukaemia. He also spent 7 weeks in hospital but amazingly came out COVID free.

The tank is now assembled. When it is turned on it goes through the expected boot sequence: there's a click from the speaker, one red flash from the machine gun, the front LED lights blink, and the CPU fan spins. All that seems to be the expected responses, so that makes us think the tank itself is basically OK.

The instructions say to turn on the controller very quickly after the tank is powered on, and to hold in the machine gun button. The controller's red light blinks rapidly, as expected. Soon the transmitter's red LED stops flashing, as if it has found and bound with the tank. Moving the left-hand toggle switch towards the operator is supposed to start the tank, but nothing happens. The tank stays in the same state, with flashing front lights.

I've read the threads here about other people having difficulties binding controllers to tanks, but none of them have helped. All batteries are fully charged or brand-new purchases. There were no batteries or charger in the kit, they've been purchased separately.

What we've found is the controller goes through the flashing LED / steady LED sequence even if the tank isn't powered on. So I suspect the controller is at fault. But I have no way of verifying this.

What I'm hoping is that someone with a Taigen Tank using the newest 2.4GHz controller (the one with a machine gun push button and the right-hand toggle switch that used to be the machine gun on/off now controls the smoke unit) can give us some assistance. The chap in Germany is trying to help but we can't do any fault-finding or diagnostics because we have no other RC equipment. My thinking is, if we can temporarily bind someone else's controller to it, we'll know the fault lies in our controller. We can then take that up with the shop in Germany. If it doesn't work, the fault obviously resides within the electronics in the tank and we can proceed on that front.

I'm in North East Wales but happy to travel. I really need my brother to see this thing moving. If anyone is in a position to help with this I'd be very, very grateful, as would my brother. Seeing the tank move will mean a huge amount to him.

Fingers crossed,

Dave.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Help Request - Taigen Tiger 1 not binding

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Here in the US, Imex importer of Taigen, put out these corrected instructions for binding the transmitter to the board. Maybe this will do the trick.
Taigen V3 Binding.jpg
Taigen V3 Binding.jpg (77.29 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
Barmonkey
Recruit

Post by Barmonkey »

Hello Dave, Fortunately for me my V3 Tiger 1 was already bound. I did manage to bind the transmitter to a V1 controller.

1) Toggle switch at Left/top away from you and toggle switch at Right/top toward you
2) Turn tank and transmitter on at same time
3) Push Right/top switch away from you
4) Flip Left/top toward you

Hopefully Success!(?)
DaveNorthWales
Recruit

Post by DaveNorthWales »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

@Herr Dr. Professor - Yes, those are the new instructions for the new controller, but they still don't work. The tank just sits there with its headlights flashing.

@Barmonkey - The right-hand toggle switch on the controller is now for the smoke unit, and there's a separate push-button for the machine gun.

The red light stops blinking on the controller as though it was successful, but the tank just stays in the waiting for a connection state. In fact, the controller goes from flashing red LED to static LED even if the tank isn't powered up.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

This may be of no help but be very sure that the batteries in the tank and radio are fully charged.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Dave, it seems as if you are doing everything correctly to try to bind the transmitter. I get the impression that you and your brother assembled the tank from the Tiger I kit available from Torro or Licmas or rctank de. Is that correct? Would it help to have pictures of a Taigen V3 electronics installed in a Taigen tank?

By the way, I have bought from all three of the German sellers I mention above, and I have had fine service from all three. My Taigen tanks have largely been trouble free, and I have been slowly switching them to V3 because of the sound modules. I wish I were nearby to help.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

DaveNorthWales wrote:The red light stops blinking on the controller as though it was successful, but the tank just stays in the waiting for a connection state. In fact, the controller goes from flashing red LED to static LED even if the tank isn't powered up.
I dont have a V3 controller but can offer an idea. how long does it take for the flashing red light to go out ? if someone else has a V3 controller perhaps they could try the same switch the controller on in binding mode with no tanks switched on and see if the light stops flashing or just continues
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

See if this helps.
1. top left chrome switch- push backwards
2. top left right chrome switch - flick forward
3. hold the black button in next to the chrome switch
4 whilst holding this switch, power up your transmitter and then your tank
5. when the red light stops flashing, flick the right chrome switch backwards, flick the left chrome switch forward and the tank should start

if it doesn't flick the left chrome switch back to off, turn your transmitter off. Then turn your transmitter back on and flick the left chrome switch forward again to start
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello,

Here is how to proceed, sorry if in French? but google translate is your friend, this is in line with what Forgeaber says, but with the images in addition
https://www.rc-panzershop.fr/ekmps/shop ... /hl2.4.pdf
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

also on youtube and udeme for all Taigen cars :thumbup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ddQjBcPCY

Return to “General Questions”