3 quick questions:

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mister Thrice
Recruit

3 quick questions:

Post by Mister Thrice »

1- I'm having a hard time finding images of the metal smoke machine upgrade beyond the 'for sale' pics. Does anybody have a schematic or a disassembled one they could snap some pictures of?

2- In regards to the metal tank track pins, are there titanium, or any sort of superior-to-stock quality choices available? These things are very similar to fat paper clips, and so a quality metal would be ideal here...

3- Does the metal gear turret upgrade increase speed of rotation at all? I do not mind the current speed or a bit faster, but would certainly mind a bit slower!!

Those ought to get me started. I believe that I am going to be making my bulldog the DK-1, as I like the work that Denmark did to it. I'm quite enjoying researching these variants, and seeing when and where they were used. Quite a good chunk of reading material!!

Very addicting hobby, all. I gotta say, getting to drive something every day without it breaking is new to me, but oh so great! Going to be driving it again here in a bit, now that I'm home from work, but it's dinner first, that's got to happen.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows where I can look, I've tried a few search variants in the search box, but phrasing is limiting me there so far, and regular google searches are very sales-oriented!!

See you all around!!

---T
“Don't slide down the rabbit hole. The way down is a breeze, but climbing back's a battle.” --Kate Morton
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: 3 quick questions:

Post by Jofaur86 »

;)
Hello,
1: what smoke machine are you talking about? on this forum there is a specific subject in the electronic post, also visit this blog
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... enerators/

2: to my knowledge there are no titanium pins? can be stronger? see also in the list, resellers
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1 ... ducts.html

3: replace the crown with a metal one, will not make the turret turn more or less quickly, since the number of teeth is the same, personal opinion
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Ad 2: With metal tank tracks usually what breaks is pot-metal track links not steel pin...
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Mister Thrice wrote: 3- Does the metal gear turret upgrade increase speed of rotation at all? I do not mind the current speed or a bit faster, but would certainly mind a bit slower!!
Adding in a resistor into the turret circuit will slow down the speed of the turret motor.

Start small. Example:
To reduce to 75% rotation speed, you need to add a Voltage drop caused by the added resistor. If your motor has 6 Ohm of internal resistance...
6 Ohm (Motor) + 2 Ohm (Resistor) gives you roughly 75% Voltage to the motor which results in a slower speed.
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Post by Mister Thrice »

Jofaur86 - I read, and re-read that forum about the smoke machine. Very intriguing. I do believe that the main device inside is an old-school vape setup, with really outdated coils, and some such rubbish 'wick.' I will be upgrading to whats called an "alien" coil, which is a modified 'clapton' coil, which has more surface area, and thus, produces more vape, er, smoke. I am a stickler for Japanese organic cotton, and will probably be using a maximum vegetable glycerin recipe, as most of mine are. Propylene glycol has a tickle, or a burn in my throat about it, and I just dont care for it. If my tank is going to be vaping like someone lit a fire inside, it best smell good at least!!

I appreciate your resources and advice about the crown. I see that may of the parts inside are also able to upgraded to metal versions, which, naturally, makes it strong and last longer, so I definitely want that done. I will be reinforcing the hull with carbon fiber cutouts, I have an idea similar to a submarine in design, where there are panels running perpendicular to the hull and then just very large central cutouts allowing the passage of wires and servos and motors and gearboxes and such. It will be nice to have many extra areas to route the wires and secure things to, I'm greatly looking forward to it. Banggood has cheap deals on various types of carbon fiber sheeting, so my crafty side is itching to get my hands on some...

Kaczor - Yeah, I'm thinking it was just not put all the way in when it was being shipped out. The thing was hanging out about a quarter inch, and those things are an absolute pain to straighten, then test fit, adjust, and then test fit again until both test fits work nice, then you can try to get it through both... Most aggravating. Probably best to start with fresh pins... Should have used one of the 3 spares they sent me, but I wanted to see how it would work to try to fix one. No regrets, just aggravation...

Jarlath - Very intersting concept, using a resistor to slow the thing down. I like the idea, but the speed on the rotation of the walker bulldog is not fast, so potentially for another tank. Yes, theres no hope for my free money now... There will be more tanks... I quite like a few of the Russian models, and should probably have an abrams just to give it a different paint job, because desert tan reminds me of home, and I fled that place as soon as financially available! I hate Utah... no offense to any who may take it. Deserts are neat ecosystems, I'm just a forest guy now.

Thanks for the pointers everybody, and sorry for the delay on this, coulda sworn I hit the 'submit' button the other night when I wrote this the first time... Man, I'm great with rc cars, but put a computer in front of me to watch some real chaos begin...

See ya around group, thanks!
“Don't slide down the rabbit hole. The way down is a breeze, but climbing back's a battle.” --Kate Morton
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

OK, otherwise there is also this very informative post from this forum, lots of ideas, tips, etc.
viewforum.php?f=184
Mister Thrice
Recruit

Post by Mister Thrice »

Jofaur86 - Thanks so much! Lots of good threads there!! I will be reading heavily!! These 'smokers' are cool gizmos to add to many rc vehicles, and my mind is already excited to start putting them in other, non-tank builds!! I love how generally compatible the rc world is... The springs on my M41 backside aren't quite good enough, so I reached out to Toucan (whom I purchased this tank from) and they told me all I needed to know to improve them. Also all about them. Very cool stuff. That kind of customer service is rare, at least in this country... So I appreciate it greatly!

I'm off to work on the tank, the future SETI rig, and to bolt down the new micro servo for my mini monster... Been waiting on my favorite motor heat sink with cooling fan, but USPS lost the first one, so hopefully the second one gets here this week... Then, it should be done. I mean, I will have to clean up the wiring, because it's got a lot, but once thats done, I will have my first fully upgraded, fully customized, insanely fast 1/18 mini monster truck. I'm pretty excited. Take care group! And thanks again, so much!

Return to “General Questions”