Calling All Panther G Experts: Historical Accuracy Questions

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
STHV
Lance Corporal

Re: Calling All Panther G Experts: Historical Accuracy Quest

Post by STHV »

All of the Panthers have exactly the same lower hull, even the lower side armour is a straight copy paste despite the Ausf G having totally different sides. Every Panther also uses the same running gear as the Ausf D with the doughnut sprocket hub and the 16 bolt roadwheels, the only change is that the G and F have the self cleaning idler wheel. The F even has the wrong coax and bow machine guns and it even has a copy paste Ausf G hull as you can see the marks for the sliding ausf F hatches on both the G and F. The newer models whilst higher quality are still wrong too
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Guys,
Well I knew this would be a fascinating subject to broach. You guys are an amazing source of...well, everything! I truly appreciate it!

Rad, Sir Jarndice, John1970, and our good Herr Dr., thank you for what is probably the best advice. :thumbup:

Jofaur86, thank you so much for the link to all the great Panther pics! Some seriously great archival footage!

Exhibitedbrute, I knew I had seen your signature before, I just couldn't remember which member had it! Truly words to live by!

Tiger6, thank you for all the great info, truly helpful to have it!

STHV, thanks also for the info and the truly sexy rear end of that Panther! :haha:

Herman, as always you are a great source to have on one's side! I think you've pretty much summed things up for me!

And thanks to everyone else who chimed in! What an amazing place to belong to! I'll start finalizing my plans then!

Just one more thing; so the picture of Tom's Panther with the huge exhaust pipes, is actually the last style to be designed for the Panther G? Just want to make sure I got that straight, as I was more confused on that aspect then the others.

Once again, thanks so much.
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

Yes, its basically just a thin sheet metal curved pipe that sits ontop of the existing flame mufflers of late G's
Last edited by STHV on Thu May 20, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Yes. The G started out with the 2 small pipes shown in STHV's picture, moved onto the flame suppressing type found on the stock Heng Long in late October(ish), with the curved hoods of Tom's example being added to the top of them around late December (going off the top of my head, could be out by a month or so...).

Some random closing thoughts:

The tanks typically show up at the front at least one month from the date they were built, so don't assume that a tank pictured in October would have the features of the October builds.

The cut in dates of new designs were agreed between the factories and the Waffenamt, so while each of the 3 companies changed over to newer designs at different times (depending on their individual supply chains being able to switch to making the new parts) they weren't simply bolting on whatever happened to be kicking around in the stores on that particular day - if they wanted to use up 'old' parts, this had to be agreed ahead of time with the Waffenamt. (obviously this went out of the window in the last month or so of the war, but this is very much the exception, not the rule)
EAO

Post by EAO »

STHV wrote:Yes
That's what I thought you said!

Thank you,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

For info :D
904A6DC1-8924-43FF-9A32-5E136B129D88.jpeg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Image 33 of Mr Jofaur's link seems to show a zim covered 'G' WITH traditional Hinterhalt camo................covered in infantry but it sure does look like it.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Here a Picture of Panthers in April 1945 on the Marketplace at Lauban:
Kompanie.jpg
There you can see many differences beetween the Panthers.
The number 111 and 123 are the latest Panthers, because there is no MG-Ring at the Kommanders cupola.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

This might be worth a look as an alternative to the rather pricey book I suggested earlier:
https://www.panzerwrecks.com/product/pa ... y-mig6270/

The original suggestion:
https://www.panzerwrecks.com/product/pa ... n-changes/
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
also exists that !!!!

Return to “General Questions”