Exhaust pipes!

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Exhaust pipes!

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Here's one for the T34 officiados here, and l know we have a few. Technically it's regarding the exhaust outlets on the SU-100. There are apparently two types, as in the photo below. I'm modelling this one on the types present at the fall of Berlin but l know the SU-100 was used for some years after that. The problem l have is that all the photos l've seen online are taken front on so the exhaust is not visible.

Can anyone clarify which would be correct?
Last edited by General Jumbo01 on Tue May 11, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01

Re: Exhaust pipes!

Left or right? Photo evidence would be good too, thanksImage

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
tankme

Post by tankme »

I believe both were used in WW2 as the vehicles were only manufactured until 1947 in Russia and until 1950 in the Czechoslovakia. So it would be reasonable to assume that unless it's a Czech version, it was manufactured in the WW2 time frame. This one came from Bulgaria so it was probably manufactured in Russia prior to 1947 some time. It has the scalloped type on the right is a later version. The type on the left was the original type used on the T-34/76. You can't know for sure that they weren't replaced at some point, but Russians typically don't replace things unless they NEED to be replaced. The second link shows the exhaust covers. The exhaust pipes themselves have been remanufactured as they look brand new. It would make sense as the exhaust would be made with mild steel and really prone to rust away over the years. The hardened cast exhaust armor covers would not be. There are tons of good pics of this SU-100 in this walk around. If you really want to be safe as far as the timeframe, use the non-scalloped version since it is the earlier version of the cover.

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkar ... large.html

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkar ... large.html

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkar ... index.html
Last edited by tankme on Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
tankme

Post by tankme »

Pics of the earlier version, but no background on the vehicle.

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/su-100-vol-4/

Another walk around with no info about the SU, but uses earlier version:

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/carrey ... php?Page=2

Another site with rear exhaust shots - early version:

https://www.recomonkey.com/Land-Platfor ... -nN9DGH9/A

This walk around is a version that was used post war as it has the add on storage box on the front right of the TD. It uses the scalloped late version, but has the early wheels:

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/dmitry ... php?Page=1
Derek
General Jumbo01

Wow, where do l start to thank you! I can see l need to include the phrase walk around in my reference searches. It appears that the actual exhaust pipe comes in two types too, a short curve type and a longer slash cut straight type.

I completely agree with your conclusion - the non scolloped type is the safe way to go. However, I'll build both types and fit them so that they can be easily exchanged. Why? I feel guilty saying this but simply because l like the appearance of the scolloped / slash cut pipe! I think having one of each, as in my poorly lit photo, is maybe pushing my luck!

Thanks again. Those reference photographs will be a looked up many times in the future l'm sure.

tankme

Post by tankme »

Walk around is pretty much the key word. I prefer the scalloped type also as those are the ones I've gone with on my build:

Derek
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's a pic I took of a T34 that gave a display up here, on Loch Ewe, back in 2017 (it even fired its cannon-and what a BOOM !! :crazy: the echo from the hills was also amazing :D )
I took the pic in black and white (greyscale) for effect- hope it's of some use, GJ.

Yes, it's not an SU-100, but I thought the rear plate configuration might help :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

Nice build, looks very familiar! Is yours RC too?

As for a T34 beating up the Highlands, l envy you. I plan to get up to Muckleburgh asap to see if l can catch a ride in their T34/85. There's obviously a lot of common components in the T34 and SUs but those damned ruskies kept changing parts so getting things right is difficult. Still, as they say, it's my tank and who is going to know ;)

I'll do another 'book' when it's complete, much as l did for My KaTie, but l still need to get the electrics fully finished.

I may be back for more help there. 10 channel radio gear, 6 for the Taigen mfu and 4 for the extra servos and switches. Usual problem, getting the gun to fire without any turret based electrics. I've done it before so may need to open one off them to see how. Doh!

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Tank you, Tank Me! !!! There's a pot o' gold in those links you provided. I wonder if this should be cross-referenced or copied into one of the Resources pages. :think:
tankme

Post by tankme »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Nice build, looks very familiar! Is yours RC too?
Yup, mine is mated to a Taigen lower. I'm using metal late wheels on my SU-100, metal suspension arms, metal sprockets, metal idlers, and metal track. It also has a Hentec adjustable idler on it. The early SU-100 wheels are going to be repurposed for my SU-122 build. I've already converted them to have 3mm ID bearings. I haven't worked on the gun mounting yet so that is my next step in that project. Haven't decided on what recoil mechanism I want to use.
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Tank you, Tank Me! !!! There's a pot o' gold in those links you provided. I wonder if this should be cross-referenced or copied into one of the Resources pages. :think:
No problem... :)
Derek

Return to “General Questions”