Exhaust pipes!

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Exhaust pipes!

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Same here, the full pro hull and bits all supplied by Forgebear. Theres not much space in the nose where the gun is mounted. If you use the original geometry you'll get the correct movement, left, right, up, down but the universal joint type set up is all in that small bulge. I used two small servos to provide the smooth movement which is why l wanted the extra channels. There's an awful lot of electrics to cram in!

I too have modified a couple of early wheels initially to fit an old HL hull but the small spindle fitting on the Taigen is easier. The kit wheels and tyres are just a tad too big to get scale clearance but the kit wheels and Taigen tyres work okay when glued in place.

Now.... How did you shorten the over length top deck? It's 5mm too long to correctly fit the HL and Taigen hulls. I carried out the surgery between the engine and cabin sections with a little fettling off the front plate too. Other than that the shell droped in perfectly and l've mounted the top using the Taigen quick release system. Very pleased so far, just need to sort out the firing!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I think the difference between the exhaust shrouds has less to do with when the vehicle was produced, and more to do with which factory produced it. I know that T-34s produced at KhPZ had cast exhaust shrouds and T-34s produced at UZTM had stamped exhaust shrouds. I assume that KhPZ didn't have the capability to do large stampings (hence the hard-edged cast turrets and exhaust shrouds) but UZTM did (hence the soft-edged stamped turrets and exhaust shrouds). For what it's worth, the SU-100 at AAAM appears to be a post-war production or modernisation based on the lights and toolboxes.

Also, both builds are looking great! Strange that the Trumpeter hull is too long to fit the Heng Long and Taigen hulls; my Trumpeter T-34/76 upper was a perfect fit for the Taigen metal lower. I'd have thought all the Trumpeter kits would be based on the same parts.

EDIT: And I also installed the cast exhausts on mine:

tankme

Post by tankme »

General Jumbo01 wrote: Now.... How did you shorten the over length top deck? It's 5mm too long to correctly fit the HL and Taigen hulls. I carried out the surgery between the engine and cabin sections with a little fettling off the front plate too. Other than that the shell droped in perfectly and l've mounted the top using the Taigen quick release system. Very pleased so far, just need to sort out the firing!
I didn't shorten the deck at all. I modified the lower hull plate to fix the issue. The T34 "beak" is rounded. The SU-100 beak is not. I removed the round part on the metal Taigen lower plate with a grinder. I will be using some sheet styrene to cover the lower plate as shown in this frontal pic:

Raminator wrote:For what it's worth, the SU-100 at AAAM appears to be a post-war production or modernization based on the lights and toolboxes.

Also, both builds are looking great! Strange that the Trumpeter hull is too long to fit the Heng Long and Taigen hulls; my Trumpeter T-34/76 upper was a perfect fit for the Taigen metal lower. I'd have thought all the Trumpeter kits would be based on the same parts.
There were some post war modifications to the SU-100 which included the storage box on the front, there were some additional cable mounts on the left side of the casemate (can't find anyone that can tell me what the cable is used for), and various other little mods like tool boxes. The Russians stopped production on the SU-100 in 1947 and the Czechs produced them under license until 1950, but there were many other countries that bought them from Russian when they decommissioned them. One of those countries would be Egypt so there may be other modifications those countries did to them.

I have the other Trumpeter T34/76 kits and yeah they fit perfectly on the Taigen hulls. If you modify the lower plate the SU-100 does too. I believe an extra plate of armor was welded to the lower plate of the SU-100.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
General Jumbo01

That nose mod could explain the difference, just more that 7mm and also the height. I considered it easier to mod the plastic! The brass threaded posts were fitted to facilitate s HL hull but if course the Taigen mounts just screw into them.

As l said, l used 2 of the spare channels with rotary controls to cobteo the servos and then mixed the channels to get the mfu sounds for them. The hull looks crowded and messy but that's because the cables have not yet been tidied. It will remain crowded though!

Although l always build and paint my models factory fresh with just a bit of rain dust light weathering, l decided to remove the front track guards as that's how they most often are.

BTW, those walk around photos of the castings and weld joints really bring home just how bloody awful the build quality was. But they worked and there were so many of them.

Exhausts...have both just been paint prepped ;)ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

A beautiful pair of SUs guys, they both look great. You should get some build threads going so we can follow along!
General Jumbo01

Thanks, appreciated. As mentioned above, I'll do one of my single post 'novels' once it's complete and tested. I used to write for hobby magazines so it's what l'm used to doing! That said, this thread has helped me enormously in the build so far.

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Raminator wrote:A beautiful pair of SUs guys, they both look great. You should get some build threads going so we can follow along!

Here-here !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Questions”