Mod Plates.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Mod Plates.

Post by jarndice »

In my time in the service almost every piece of equipment carried a metal rectangular plate with the details of any modifications carried out,
These are sometimes quite sizable items and often more than one is fitted so would certainly take up space on or in a military vehicle although I have never seen such a fitting in a model,
Does anyone know when the Black and Silver plates were first introduced?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Mod Plates.

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

if you mean number plates, Shaun- according to this article they were introduced in that format in 1949; a little before your service time.
https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equipmen ... es-685605/
If it's for some other feature, I haven't a clue.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

No Roy not registration number plates
But Modification Plates which can be found on anything from Nuclear Submarines to Artillery pieces, Tanks to Radio Transmitters,Even Food mixers in the cook house,
If a Tank or any piece of military equipment goes through a major or indeed minor upgrade programme or repair the details are recorded on the MOD Plate so that VMs in workshops can at a glance know if any extra work/Security precautions etc is needed,
Each modification/repair is coded and the code and the date of the modification is stamped on the MOD Plate, You know what a VIN plate looks like or a civilian trailer spec plate, The Mod plate is similar,
It can be small or large or in multiples but the one thing they have in common is that they are never included in 1/16 models :lolno:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ah, yes, I've seen them in tanks. The Sherman site shows VIN/Variant style plates fitted to US vehicles. Something along these lines, then ?:
This one's from an Army Land Rover. Someone appears to be selling them on Ebay.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Exactly right :thumbup: :clap: and as you see big enough that one might reasonably expect to see them in a 1/16 model.

Return to “General Questions”