Russian T-44

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Russian T-44

Post by tankme »

From what I read the T34/85 turret was "similar" to the T-44 turret. The T-44 turret uses a single vent on top as opposed to two on the T34/85. From pics I've seen it looks like the rear "bustle" end of the T-44 turret is higher off the upper deck than the T34/85 turret. The T44 turret also looks lower profile, but these differences wouldn't stop Barry from bending a T34 turret to his will... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

tankme wrote:From what I read the T34/85 turret was "similar" to the T-44 turret. The T-44 turret uses a single vent on top as opposed to two on the T34/85. From pics I've seen it looks like the rear "bustle" end of the T-44 turret is higher off the upper deck than the T34/85 turret. The T44 turret also looks lower profile, but these differences wouldn't stop Barry from bending a T34 turret to his will... :)
T-34/85 turret came from the T-43 project.

The T-44-85 prototype #2 with the ZIS 85mm cannon)
T-44-85_4.jpg
T-44-85_4.jpg (52.49 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Depends on if Barry wants to make a prototype 85mm version or a T-44A production version...
Prototype versions had road wheel spacing based upon the T-34, but production removed the gap between the 2nd and 3rd road wheels (Increasing the gap between the 1st and 2nd ones)..
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Jarlath wrote:
tankme wrote:Depends on if Barry wants to make a prototype 85mm version or a T-44A production version...Prototype versions had road wheel spacing based upon the T-34, but production removed the gap between the 2nd and 3rd road wheels (Increasing the gap between the 1st and 2nd ones)..
Still noodling this one. :think:

I figure the turret "should" not present any insurmountably issues. However the road wheel spacing is another matter. I would prefer a production model with spacing between 1st and 2nd. I think a HL lower would be easier than a Taigen but not as sturdy. I can shore up the HL and make it better but still not as sturdy as metal.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Here's what I'm thinking.

:)
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme

Post by tankme »

That T44 looks like a T55 hull. The development of the T-44, T54, and T55 confuses me a little. From most things I read the T-44 was developed and produced, but replaced by the T54 then replaced by the T-55. My deduction may be incorrect, but it seems that all of those vehicles are built on the same hull with the differences being the turret, road wheels, sprockets, and idler types. Wouldn't it seem that using a Hooben T-55 chassis would be a good starting point for this build? Since they don't sell spare parts readily I'm sure you'd need to get an entire Hooben kit to start the build.
Last edited by tankme on Sun May 23, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankme wrote:That T44 looks like a T55 hull. The development of the T-44, T54, and T55 confuses me a little. From most things I read the T-44 was developed and produced, but replaced by the T54 then replaced by the T-55. My deduction may be in correct, but it seems that all of those vehicles are built on the same hull with the differences being the turret, road wheels, sprockets, and idler types. Wouldn't it seem that using a Hooben T-55 chassis would be a good starting point for this build? Since they don't sell spare parts readily I'm sure you'd need to get an entire Hooben kit to start the build.
BarryC wrote:Can a T-55 lower hull and running gear be used to kitbash one?

I think it would make a great build using the Hooben T-55 and a T-34/85 turret and scratch built kitbashed upper hull. :thumbup:

Barry
My first thought. :think:

I have both a 1/35 T-44 and a T-55, some measuring needed. I also have a Hooben T-55. I had planned an Israeli Tiran 5 build using the Hooben.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Using the T-55 chassis it looks like I would need to lower both the Idlers and Sprockets and use T-34 Road Wheels.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme

Post by tankme »

I didn't quite remember back that far, but I guess my question would've gone out to anyone that knew for sure if this was the T-55 hull. :) One good thing about using the Hooben as a base if you go that route is you will have a set of the starfish wheels for another conversion. There are quite a few vehicles that use those wheels. I've always wanted to build an SU-122/54. Only 77 of them were built, but the US was surprised by them since they only found out about them 10 years after they stopped producing them.

I think if you used a Henntec idler, lowering the idler would be easy. I have one on my T55 and it uses an adjustable swing arms type action. Not sure about the sprocket height.
Derek
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankme wrote:I didn't quite remember back that far.
I usually don't either! :haha:
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

tankme wrote:I didn't quite remember back that far, but I guess my question would've gone out to anyone that knew for sure if this was the T-55 hull. :) One good thing about using the Hooben as a base if you go that route is you will have a set of the starfish wheels for another conversion. There are quite a few vehicles that use those wheels. I've always wanted to build an SU-122/54. Only 77 of them were built, but the US was surprised by them since they only found out about them 10 years after they stopped producing them.

I think if you used a Henntec idler, lowering the idler would be easy. I have one on my T55 and it uses an adjustable swing arms type action. Not sure about the sprocket height.

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/shrouded-secrecy

What a piece of work !!
Be great to see one in 1/16th !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Questions”